Bushing and Tube Dimensions of Kit Suppliers will be updated 2019

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

This is a fantastic resource. I can really appreciate all the work that has, and does, go into them.
My only issue, is search-ability. As an example, it would be very helpful to be able to search a particular word in a kit name, that may be available from multiple vendors.
I opened the list in Adobe reader, and it only seems to see it as an image. Isn't it possible to make the document searchable, while maintaining the security?

Thanks again

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think the issue is that some PDF readers ignore the Adobe security settings, but I will leave it to Wayne to address that issue.

The app is highly searchable, but I realize that isn't much help for folks who don't use Apple devices.

FLBOY68

Fantastic

This is fantastic! Thank you for all this hard work!!!
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.penturners.org/milonic/milonic_src.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.penturners.org/milonic/mmenudom.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://content.penturners.org/library/mainmenu.js"></script>
<table border=0><tr><td colspan=3" align="center">
tn_bush_tube.jpg
<P>Bushing and Tube Dimensions Updated Sept. 30, 2016</td></tr><tr><td colspan=3 bgcolor="#add8e6" height="14"></td></tr>
<tr><td bgcolor="beige" align="center" width="33%">[SIZE=+2]WOW![/SIZE]<P>
<p>
Bushing and Tube<BR>Smartapp for your<BR>Apple iPad/iPhone

Update: Sept. 24, 2016
Author: [Profile]Edgar[/Profile] Dohmann<BR>
Apple App User Guide
Revised: Sept. 30, 2016
Author: [Profile]Edgar[/Profile] Dohmann
</td><td align="left" width="33%">Author: [Profile]Wayne[/Profile] Racinowski
<UL><LI>Complete 20 Suppliers
NEW: Aug. 18, 2016
<LI>Arizona Silhouette
Revised: Aug. 18, 2016
<LI>Bear Tooth Woods
<LI>Berea Hardwoods
<LI>Classic Nib
<LI>Craft Supplies USA
<LI>Exotic Blanks
<LI>Gary Pye
<LI>Hut Products
<LI>Laserlinez
<LI>Lee Valley
Revised: Aug. 18, 2016</UL>
</td><td align="left" valign="top" width="33%">Author: [Profile]Wayne[/Profile] Racinowski
<UL><LI>Little River Crafts
New: Aug. 18, 2016
<LI>Packard Woodworks
<LI>Penn State
<LI>Rockler
<LI>Smittys
<LI>William Wood Write
<LI>Wood N Whimsies
<LI>Wood World of Texas
New: Aug. 18, 2016
<LI>Woodcraft
<LI>Woodturningz
<LI>Blank Excel Form
Revised: Aug. 18, 2016</UL>
</td></tr><tr><td colspan=3 bgcolor="#add8e6" height="14"></td></tr></table>

jttheclockman

I think I asked this in another thread but do not remember which. Why is it that we have no data from Timberbits?? Dave is a member here. His kits are different than what is being sold for sure. I am sure he can be contacted to supply the info. Would like to see his kits added to the list if possible.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
JT, I think you have the shoe on the wrong foot!!

Why not contact Dave and ask him to provide this info--send it to YOU, so you know the information that is provided, then forward to Wayne.

I predict you will find Wayne EXCEPTIONALLY grateful for your help and the information will be included in the next update.

Wayne is from Milwaukee, I see him from time to time at meetings, so yes, we are friends (he even credits me with starting him in penturning when I gave lessons at WoodCraft). Point is, yes I know Wayne and I am amazed at his dedication to this "bushing" project--but each of the vendors should see it as an opportunity to shed information on their product line---NOT as an imposition!!

Customers like you, JT, can motivate any vendor far more than Wayne can.

jttheclockman

OK Ed I will do that. I did not know how that was the way things were done on this. I got it. Not afraid at all to take the ball. Put me in coach:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Will give him a call next week unless I have to go in the hospital. Then I will call when I get out. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
JT, whatever assistance you or anyone else can provide with Timberbits or any other vendor will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne has done essentially all of the work on these charts for the past 7 or 8 years. I have been helping somewhat for the last year or so since we've introduced the app, and I can tell you that there is a tremendous amount of work required to collect & compile the data for these charts. We want to include as many vendors as possible, but the more vendors we include, the greater the maintenance task of reviewing & updating each vendor's information becomes, leaving us even less time to spend on adding new vendors.

Wayne has personally contacted every vendor that we know of several times - some respond expressing interest and some never respond at all. Only a very few actually respond with any useful information. We give priority to those vendors who do cooperate and those who provide easily-accessible instructions on their websites.

Wayne has also sent out calls for help with the project several times and the data form is included with the charts in the library. Anyone who would like to participate in the project is welcome at any time. We can use help with developing charts for new vendors as well as reviewing existing charts for corrections and additions.

I encourage everyone who would like to help with this project to please let Wayne know and he will provide guidance on how you can participate. If there is a particular vendor that you would like to help with, let him know that too.

jttheclockman

No problem Edgar. Like I said I did not know how this was being handled. I will definetly give Dave a call and see what if anything info I can get. I have praised Wayne many times for the hard work he has done with the library for sure and he is one of those unsung heros behind the scenes here that does not get the accolades he deserves. I have some of his kits but not all so I could make a few inserts but let us see what we can find out. My only little hicup in this is I maybe heading for another stint in the hospital. I will find out this week. When I get out i will follow up on it. As far as other vendors I do not know of any other or have dealings with others that may have been mentioned. All others that I buy from are listed already.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
No problem Edgar. Like I said I did not know how this was being handled. I will definetly give Dave a call and see what if anything info I can get. I have praised Wayne many times for the hard work he has done with the library for sure and he is one of those unsung heros behind the scenes here that does not get the accolades he deserves. I have some of his kits but not all so I could make a few inserts but let us see what we can find out. My only little hicup in this is I maybe heading for another stint in the hospital. I will find out this week. When I get out i will follow up on it. As far as other vendors I do not know of any other or have dealings with others that may have been mentioned. All others that I buy from are listed already.

Thanks JT,

Looking at the Timberbits web site, I see that they have instructions for most of their kits & some appear to be renames of other kits. So, I think the main things that we need from them are:
1. Verification of which kits they have renamed
2. Bushing & tube info on any exclusive Timberbit kits (and instructions, if possible).
3. An alphabetic listing of all their kits with the original manufacturer or suppler being identified (PSI, CSUSA, Dayacom, Berea, etc) would also be helpful. That would save us time when compiling the chart for their kits rather than having to peruse their web site for each individual kit, but it's not absolutely necessary.

In particular, I see that their Blingless Harvest kit is a Timberbits exclusive and has no instructions. Also I can't find any bushing size or tube length info on this kit. Are the bushings & tubes the same as Roman Harvest, or are they different? Can Roman Harvest instructions be used, or is there a difference?

That type of info for any other unique TB kits would also be helpful.

We really appreciate your help with this and we welcome assistance from anyone else who would like to participate in this project.

Edgar

Wbpens

Wow! This is an AMAZING reference tool! I have created a website, penturninghelp.wordpress.com whose purpose is to provide help to pen turners. One of the most common questions I come across is if there is a centralized reference for tubes and bushings, etc. Basically, THIS!! It would be so cool if I could post a link to this on my site. I know it would be a big help to those who follow me. Plus, you'd probably get a few more downloads on the Apple App Store. May I have permission to do this?

menglor

has the issue about being able to search outside of an apple product been resolved?

right now, I am trying to find a similar bushing to the Flat top American, but without the search, its a challenge ;)

anyone have a suggestion on how to use this chart?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
has the issue about being able to search outside of an apple product been resolved?

right now, I am trying to find a similar bushing to the Flat top American, but without the search, its a challenge ;)

anyone have a suggestion on how to use this chart?

The PDF files are not searchable because the charts are in image format. At this time, only the app is searchable.

KenV

Edgar, is it worthwhile for me to crunch the PDF through a OCR program (I use omni-page) to extract a text/word file??

The ugly with ocr is the occasional missed translate and finding them.

budnder

Tiny Giant/Editor Bushing and Tube Measurements

Didn't see this kit in any of the charts, so thought I'd share what I measured:

Editor/Tiny Giant
Upper/Cap Tube
A Drill Dia. = 8mm or 5/16"
B Dia. = 0.305"
C Length = 2.58"
D Dia. = 0.392"
E Dia. = 0.281"
F Dia. = 0.392"

Exotic Blanks carries it, as well as Turners Warehouse and others.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Didn't see this kit in any of the charts, so thought I'd share what I measured:

Editor/Tiny Giant
Upper/Cap Tube
A Drill Dia. = 8mm or 5/16"
B Dia. = 0.305"
C Length = 2.58"
D Dia. = 0.392"
E Dia. = 0.281"
F Dia. = 0.392"

Exotic Blanks carries it, as well as Turners Warehouse and others.

Thanks - we'll add it.
Edgar

chartle

Edgar, is it worthwhile for me to crunch the PDF through a OCR program (I use omni-page) to extract a text/word file??

The ugly with ocr is the occasional missed translate and finding them.

You could but the issue is that the decision was made to keep this as an image file I guess to keep others from editing it and maybe calling it their own. :confused:

But if Edgar wanted a text file he would just create one or ask for one.

I have used this great resource and just came back to it today to help someone with a bushing question and I can't help them since I can't search the document.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Last articles from 2016 are here. https://www.penturners.org/threads/iap-library-whats-new.77353/

Been away for some time.

Currently I'm updating the Bushing and Tube charts and adding 3 or 4 additional suppliers

I've again, reached out to many other suppliers, including some from overseas.

This new Forum software is in flux, but Jeff should get things back together soon.

Please be patient with Jeff. He's got many things going here!

Top Bottom