Bugged turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Here's something new...a 3D EPR (Ed's Poly Resin) Bug with a “jeweled†stainless steel base. The “bug†is a hand-made fishing fly encased in clear resin...see the hook?

EPRbug_1c.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YoYoSpin

Thanks everyone.

Jamie, I do the stainless stopper base jewelling using a engine turning rifle bolt setup sold by Brownells. Here's the link:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=609&title=ENGINE+TURNING+KIT

The real key is to jig the setup in a way that each swirl is done precisely, so I've recently been using the Oneway Drill Wizard and my lathe's indexing feature, which works really well. Anyone interested in a how-to video?

Here are a couple more Bugs that just fell off my lathe:
EPRbug_2c.jpg

EPRbug_3c.jpg

JimGo

Ed,
Yes, I'd be interested, especially if you are doing it in a way that doesn't create problems with the stopper's finish.

YoYoSpin

Jim,

I have tried this jewelling technique on plated stopper bases and the plating will not hold up...the swirls cut right through to the base metal (looks like a copper alloy), which I suspect will corrode easily. So I only jewel the solid stainless stopper bases, available from Ruth Niles and Arizona Silhouette.

mrcook4570

Ed, those look great! But when the fish hits, how do you set the hook? Or is that a soft resin to make the fly weedless, like a Texas rig??? [;)]

Fred

Now, just how did the 'bugs' fall so well centered? Maybe they were dizzy from spinning around on the lathe!

They are indeed very well made and you are to be commended on your work! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom