Bread Crumb Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patmurris

patmurris

This is something i wanted to try for a while... dry crumb from a French 'baguette' stabilized with lot's of CA:

Tournage%20Stylos%20169_800.jpg

Tournage%20Stylos%20170_800.jpg

I painted the tube ends with a tan color but left the center exposed with no other reason then i needed to hold the tube while applying the paint... and it shows a bit through the crumb, but it actually goes well, adding something to the texture depth.

People who have seen it without knowing are inclined to believe it is some kind of stone... :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

That pen is worth some bread, man (hippies will get the joke). One of the funniest turning related things I ever heard was on this forum when someone said "if I could get enough CA on it, I could probably turn a fart". Nice work, I wouldnt have thought about bread.

Pharmasweaves

So did you take lots of crumbs and mold them into a cylinder or did you cut out a dried part and soak it in thin CA and treat it like really soft wood?

Pharmasweaves

Second option - I cut a pen blank in the middle of a dried baguette and worked it like a really soft wood.

that is some great ingenuity, good job as well, it's got a sort of cloudy look to it, i like it.

how does it feel? is it spongy or does it act and feel more like an acrylic

patmurris

A dried baguette is really stiff with some sharp edges and would make a rather good weapon in a fight! The blank i cut was brittle but solid. Once soaked in CA, turned and finished it feels like acrylic.

Looks good for bread, i wonder how multigrain would go.
...that's precisely my next move so i bought such a bread that i'm letting dry right now... :biggrin:

I know some are worried about the amount and cost of the CA glue used on this kind of projects, but although i haven't a precise estimate, it does not take that much and if you compare to the cost of a similar stabilized blank, it probably costs less - and you create something really unique.

Cherie

A dried baguette is really stiff with some sharp edges and would make a rather good weapon in a fight! The blank i cut was brittle but solid. Once soaked in CA, turned and finished it feels like acrylic.

Looks good for bread, i wonder how multigrain would go.
...that's precisely my next move so i bought such a bread that i'm letting dry right now... :biggrin:

I know some are worried about the amount and cost of the CA glue used on this kind of projects, but although i haven't a precise estimate, it does not take that much and if you compare to the cost of a similar stabilized blank, it probably costs less - and you create something really unique.

How do you soak in CA??

Top Bottom