BOW Baron FP w/cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rifleman1776

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Can't believe I used three acronyms and an abbreviation. This forum is corrupting. ;) Oh, well. Ennyhow, I finally finished a pen project that has been in the works for months. The idea for a gift to give to my Pastor started as a simple enough thing to start, a Baron, in Bethlehem Olive Wood with a cross on the clip. Then I decided to make sure what his choice of jewelry color was, yellow gold or white. Spied (I mean took careful notice) of him after service one Sunday, yellow it is. Then I mentioned what I was doing to a friend at church. She said Pastor only uses fountain pens. That was a big UH-OH! I had read here about all the problems encountered with nibs and how only those costing the price of a Mercedes were any good, etc. Almost quit idea. Then others sent reassurances that titanium gold Barons from Arizona Silhouette had excellent nibs. Went for it. Got the kit. Went out and bought a pair of gold cross earrings. Took to a custom jewler to have one of the crosses fastented to the clip. After destroying the clip and getting advice from two jewelers, we determined that it cannot be done. Clip is just plain too tough to drill and welding, conventional or laser would destroy the plating. By this time I was saying stuff that Pastor would not approve of. Fortunately, I have recently established a business relationship with a new laser engraving business in town. Had him laser engrave a cross on a European pen with Bethlehem Olive Wood as an experiment. Came out looking fine. So I went and turned the Baron. Took unfinished top barrel to laser guy and had cross put on. When I finally got it back I only finished the pen with Myland's sanding sealer and Johnson's paste wax. Polished with the grain and spinning using my wool blanket. Had one little glitch in the making process. I couldn't find the little spring. Looked around, under workbench, hand emptied waste basket. Spent much time on this. Panicked. Said more bad words. :( Then got smart. A fountain pen doesn't use a spring. There wasn't one to lose. Oh, well. [:I] Results below. If the [}:)] does things to the nib, I'll report back.

2005513222619_BOWFPWCROSS.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

I did the same dang thing with the spring so I know the feeling of looking for something that's not there. [:D]

The pen looks fantastic? Beautiful job!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
All of that effort really paid off, Frank. That's a beauty! Not that you need it for this engraving, but if any of you want to really "pop" an engraving, dab some acrylic paint into the depression and immediately wipe off the excess. It's amazing what a little paint can do.

200551323944_Fess%20filled.jpg
<br />

Laser engraving by Ken Nelsen at www.kallenshaanwoods.com

Rifleman1776

The engraver has a process where he could have put gold overlay on the cross. In keeping with my KISS principle of doing things, I opted for what you see. Personally, I am pleased with the appearance. I'll keep your tip in mind for future projects.

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />All of that effort really paid off, Frank. That's a beauty! Not that you need it for this engraving, but if any of you want to really "pop" an engraving, dab some acrylic paint into the depression and immediately wipe off the excess. It's amazing what a little paint can do.

200551323944_Fess%20filled.jpg
<br />

Laser engraving by Ken Nelsen at www.kallenshaanwoods.com

rtjw

FrankI cant beleive I am about to something nice about someone from Arkansas. Great Job, Beautiful pen.

Okay, thats it for at least another month. You aint getting nothing else out of me![:D]

swm6500

Very nice Frank. Watch out for Johnny though, you know how those Texans are about you guys from Arkansas. Did not know if it was Arkansans or Arkansawyers or something else.

Deere41h

Frank...Beautiful pen. I do like the way the engraving turned out. You have given me a couple ideas. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by swm6500
<br />Very nice Frank. Watch out for Johnny though, you know how those Texans are about you guys from Arkansas. Did not know if it was Arkansans or Arkansawyers or something else.

That is a subject of debate here also. And, yes, we know about them Texicans. The guy from Crawford is O.K., though.
Thanks for the compliments.

PenWorks

Wonderfull pen Frank. Very artistic photo as well, great job all the way around.
Sorry to hear your getting corrupted, happens allot around here. [:D]
Next thing you know, you will be owning a synthetic rifle stock [:D]

Lou, have to ask, is the Kareem ?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Nope, Tony. That's Henry Roeland Byrd, aka Professor Longhair. He's my all-time favorite New Orleans blues pianist. His disciples include Allen Toussaint ("Working In A Coal Mine", "Southern Nights", etc) and Dr. John the Night Tripper, aka Mac Rebennack (" Right Place, Wrong Time", etc).

PenWorks

If I hadn't lost so many brain cells, I would know the number of times I saw Dr John [:D] or at least someone told me I was there.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />The engraver has a process where he could have put gold overlay on the cross. In keeping with my KISS principle of doing things, I opted for what you see. Personally, I am pleased with the appearance. I'll keep your tip in mind for future projects.
That's a wonderful piece with no embellishing, Frank. I would have left it just as you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom