Bois De Rose Aero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I got some Bois De Rose sticks to try out. So I did two on Rose Aero kits. The wood was relatively easy to turn but very hard to finish. I had a lot of trouble with it. I did one with CA/BLO and one with French polish lacquer. This is the CA/BLO pen. MM-12000, buff, 4 coats CA/BLO, buff and wax.

sCIMG5313.jpg

sCIMG5311.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Nice job on a very nice pen. In my opinion, you have shaped your blank perfectly for this kit with a smooth continuation of the taper at each end. Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing.

Jim Smith

pswenson

gorgeous

That is one beautiful pen. Nice deep red color. It is a nice save or you could call it a happy accident.

JimMc7

Beautiful pen! I really like the size of the EBs/Aeros and the twist mechanism is much more "idiot" proof than Sierras (like they were designed especially for me :)).

Lenny

WOW!
I have to admit I thought at first that was a wood name you had made up... that is some pretty wood and a nice pen!!! I really like the Rose gold Aero and that one is special! :)

Bree

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I will show the pen off at the next woodturning club meeting and then it has been snatched up by my sweetie who likes it. I confess that the CA/BLO pen shown caused me a lot of trouble. The CA didn't really stick to the pen well. I had to sand it off and reapply twice.

I may have had some bad CA or possibly it was getting sucked into the applicator towels and not making its way to the wood. I am going to do some tests to get my application process back on track because I suspect that the problem was more with me or my tools than with the wood.

I do so much CA/BLO now that I had to remember how to apply something different!! LOL!!

This wood when turned gives off very red-maroon dust and it can be staining. So this wood needs a good finish. I am thinking about doing some natural finish pens where a dense hard wood only gets some oil and wax. I have a couple of ebony pens that I did like that and I actually like using these more than I like using the CA pens.

The CA's look better but I'm not so sure they FEEL better. We'll see. I like to try new things. But I need to fix this CA/BLO problem as my top priority.
:wink::wink::wink:

workinforwood

That's a great looking pen Bree. Bois de Rose is a very strange wood..hard to do anything with and when you are all done it looks like you've been raiding the candy jar!

If you had issues with a CA finish..I doubt you or your CA was the problem. That wood is just a bugger!

Last edited:
Top Bottom