Blank Storage Rack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rangertrek

Rangertrek

This was my weekend project. I had blanks stored in boxes in the shop, in the house, etc. I could never find what I was looking for, so I made the rack to hold them. Its not very pretty, workmanship, not that great. :cool: Discovered miter gauge slipped during cuts of dados etc. I also used 1x8 pine boards I had in the shop and had to deal with some warps, cups, splits, etc. Overall it is 2'x4' and has 84 slots for blanks, back is pegboard. Now maybe I can find those blanks when I need them.:)
Update, it will store about 760-800 blanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2754_800x600.jpg
    IMG_2754_800x600.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Very Cool! I don't have anywhere near that many blanks to warrent something like that... Wish I did though. :biggrin: (I like the numbering system too!)

alamocdc

Looks good... but I'd need about 4 of those for my blanks. I guess I have too many. And SWCTM would agree with that many times over. In fact, she regularly tells me so.:wink:

Rollerbob

Looks good... but I'd need about 4 of those for my blanks. I guess I have too many. And SWCTM would agree with that many times over. In fact, she regularly tells me so.:wink:
Billy, that's why I keep mine in boxes. Out of sight, out of mind!:biggrin:

Jim Smith

Nice looking rack and to of you who say you don't have enough blanks to warrant a rack like this; just a wait a while, you soon will. I took the lazy man's way to a similar solution. I purchase one of these https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009040314013566&catname=&qty=1&item=1-3123 They are all metal and very well made. The only downside is that the shipping was just over $100 for the item. That being said, I am very happy with it as it can easily store 1000 blanks.

Jim Smith

omb76

A rack like that is too good of an excuse to buy more blanks (like I need an excuse). I couldn't stand to see all those bins empty!

HawksFeather

The rack looks good and it may cause me to start one that I think I need. The thing that I like about yours is that it looks like you would be able to remove the partition between a couple of the boxes if you had more of one particular type of blank.

Jerry

Rangertrek

Dividers

All the dividers are removable, so several compartments can be combined.
The dividers are made of pegboard and some left over paneling pieces I had in the shop. The dividers are only about 5-6" and don't go the whole depth of the case.

Bree

That's a real nice project. It will make your life a lot simpler!

I have been storing mine in Sterlite Flip Top boxes which stack. But I really want to have something closer to what you have built. I may do something similar but on a rolling cart. I haven't decided yet.

I am happy to see someone else labeling each blank. I don't number mine but I code each one with a species code and a figure code if applicable as well as a size code if it is an odd size so I don't have to remeasure it when I start working on it. I find it easy to enter these codes on the ends right after I mill the blanks.

Anyways... I think you did a great job! Maybe it will motivate me to move forward on a similar project of my own.
:wink::wink::wink:

dntrost

This is something I need to do for my new project "New Danville" my wife wants to make sure we are well organized and that some of the clients we have will have the job of organizing blanks. This is something I think I could build thanks for the post.
Without hijacking this post what do you do to lable the blanks?

jyreene

That's a nice set-up. Are you planning on making a removable labeling system? Something like one of those brass label holders that you can slide paper in and out of? You could even just re-use labels. Hey...I like that idea. Can't wait to figure out what I'm gonna do once we finally have a garage (not the royal we as my wife accuses me of all the time (although having been stationed in England I do get caught using it that way...darn limeys!)).

Rangertrek

Blank Labels

The numbers on the blanks is just with a black or blue 'sharpie'.
I was going to place a number or label for each space; but, the number on the blank serves the same purpose.

I have a little spreadsheet printout that hangs on the rack. It has both a number and alpha list of the wood species for quick reference.

Thanks for all the comments. :)

Top Bottom