Black & White

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from juteck

juteck

With the ongoing discussions on painting the drilled hole on acrylic and resin blanks, here's a few recent ones that I've done showing black and white painted blanks and matching tubes. (Pls excuse the learning curve on my photos - I'll get there some day -- I'm usually taking pics of moving kids :biggrin:)

The first one is a citrine waters acrylic. This blank was extremely translucent, and the acrylic around the drill hole ended up with mini fractures throughout. The black paint covered these really well, but the white paint highlighted some of them. Sharp drills and slow feed, cooling water or lubricant, and clearing the chips often should be a key when drilling something this clear. Now I know.

citrine-waters.jpg

This one is an acid green PR from one of our IAP members / vendors. This one was not as obvious with the black or white painting as the green is so vivid without.

acid-green.jpg

And finally, a vintage pink PR by one of the IAP members/vendors. The black showed up as a chocolate brown color probably due to the translucent pink -- a neat effect, and these colors an my screen are fairly close. My kids thought it looked like a sundae!

vintage-pink.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments/critiques are welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice to see side by side how the color you paint the tubes effects the final look of the pen. Your kids are right, looking at the third set not I need some ice cream. :biggrin:

EarlD

6 very nice pens. Thanks for highlighting the importance of choosing the appropriate color for reverse painting the blanks.

Brooks803

Those are all WAY cool! I was just talking with someone about how reverse painting can seriously change the outcome of a blank. Those first two are awesome, I really like the black one. On the last set the one that turned brown is really cool too. I like how it ended up with the pink edges like that. Makes me want to go do some experiments!

Top Bottom