Big Rob's #9 X-Cut Chakte Viga

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Well, I managed to make it through this one, by the narrowest of margins. I am going to wait a while, before I try anymore X-cut blanks. It is gorgeous wood, but I had to turn out the tear-out with a parting tool. I am new to the oval skew still and just couldn't do a good job with it. It doesn't show up too much in the picture, but the nib end is slightly concave. I had a tough time picking a kit for this one, as the chrome looked good too. The chattoyance is so deep, that it seems like I'm looking through the pen.

2005125233117_DSCN1882-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Looks pretty good to me Rob! Much better than I fared with my first attempt at cross-cut (still haven't gone back to try again either!).

BigRob777

Thanks Jim and Pastor Bill,
I was feeling really incompetent with this one, until now. I can't believe that the chip-out was almost completely stopped, by using the parting tool. I do like using that tool, for tight curves too.
Rob

alamocdc

Rob, I just thought my x-cut Texas Ebony was hard until I turned one of your x-cut CV blanks. I have yet to do another one. They are truly beautiful, but very taxing as well. All in all, I'd say you did a nice job on this. Who says that concave isn't a design change? [:D] I've had more than one go that way. [;)]

BigRob777

Billy,
I forgot that you bought some. I lose track of those details. Thanks for the kind words. The defect is much less noticeable, off of the mandrel. I guess you can disregard my previous e-mail.[:D]
Rob

Thumbs

Wow! Rob, that is beautiful! That is a really beautiful piece of wood! I have no problem with shaping Cigar pens. I think they can easily be given a unique look by giving them a little more shape. I like them best for their versatility which is right up there with the lowly SlimLine, IMHO.

BigRob777

Hi Bob,
Next month I am going to be doing 9 slimlines and hope to be doing my own CBs with them. This is the wood I was telling you about. I will be putting a couple of pieces of this stuff in with your order. Just in case anyone wants to see what the wood blanks look like, here's the link:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11151
Rob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
X cut is a lot easier if you hardenen with thin CA as yo9u go.
Skew off one layer and a little wood and add some momre.
It will make filling the pores easier ant the end.
Looks good Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom