Better mechanisms?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

Up to now I've only been making woodturningz pen kits (with a few psi pens as well) and I have 6 cigar pens in front of me, each with a bad mechanism. And the slimline kits don't last either. So I have a few questions:

1.) is there a place I can buy quality mechanisms to use in a woodturningz kit?

2.) where can I find better quality kits? (is woodcraft good?)

3.) are woodturningz/psi rollerball/fountain pen kits good quality?

Thank you for your time,
(I think there was a thread on this before, but I couldn't find it)
Joe S.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

if you CALL PSI, you can order the individual parts to any pen kit. just tell them you want some mechanisms for their Big Ben kits. you have to call the customer service number though. you can not do it on line.

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

Joe S.

That would help for the bad ones, but what about a 7mm twist mechanism that won't wear out in a week?
Joe S.

ghostrider

Just about any of the vendors should have the 7mm transmissions. Which ones are better than others I don't know about. I've not had any problems with any of the ones I've made, and I've used those transmissions from quite a few different vendors.

arioux

Many woodturningz kit are not PSI (Dayacom) anymore. Many are frrom Rizheng and bad tranny is common with their kit (This is my hown experience don't want to start the debate again)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ask First before you buy

So PSI has better slimline mechanisms? I'll try those, thanks!

PSI kits might not be from Dayacom anymore...the Funline are definately not, they are made on mainland China. I can't tell the difference between their twists and the ones PSI used to sell from Taiwan.

Even if the kits do come from Taiwan that is no guarantee that the twist mechanisms do. To be honest Joe, I don't know if there is any way to distinguish one manufacturers twists from anothers.

I have compared the twists in kits from mainland China with some from kits out of Taiwan and they look like they could have come off the same assembly line.

I wish I could find a place that I know for sure could consistantly provide better mechanisms, but if such a place exists its wherabouts is a well kept secret.

thewishman

About 6 years ago, Woodturningz started carrying their own cigar kits, not PSI. I have found that Berea cigars are much better quality. They are carried by Woodcraft, Arizona Silhouette, Bear Tooth Woods and a few others.

ghostrider

Joe,

I've used 7mm kits from W nW, Woodturningz, PSI, Woodcraft, Rockler, Smitty (I think that's it). I've noticed that the ones from WnW, and Woodturningz (both made in China) turn much easier than the ones from PSI or Woodcraft. I've found that some actually prefer this. I've Made quite a few of the Chinese Slimlines, and have yet to have any complaints after about six to 12 months. I have some who use their pens often, and whenever I inquire about them the feedback is positive. Since I grew up with Cross, I'm used to the higher resistance of the Taiwan made tranny's, but like I said, I've had no bad reports, and I check up on those who get my pens. I do have a 7mm Woodcraft pen that has been used quite a bit. In the three or four months she's had it, she's already replaced the refill, and the tranny is still going strong.

I'm with Smitty on this one. I think it's a crap shoot as to quality. However, there is a difference between the Taiwan and Chinese trannys in feel.
About 6 years ago, Woodturningz started carrying their own cigar kits, not PSI. I have found that Berea cigars are much better quality. They are carried by Woodcraft, Arizona Silhouette, Bear Tooth Woods and a few others.
Agreed. I was recently looking at some of my Cigars, and noticed how the Berea kits are finished better. You can especially tell on the edge of the clip where most show either tooling marks, or something else. Berea's have them, but not nearly as bad as the others. I did notice that the chrome Big Ben Rollerball from PSI had an even better looking clip, but don't know how their finish would stand up to Berea's.

nava1uni

I buy slim line and other kits and parts from Berea. They do make a good kit. I am surprised that your transmission isn't working longer. I have used a slim line for years and never had any problems it working.

Top Bottom