Bethlehem Olive Wood Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ilikewood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikewood

I just had to stick this pen picture in here, not because of any skill of mine, just because of the wood (thank you Diane in The Holy Land). This is NOT my choice of style for this wood, but my customers and everyone knows, "the customer is always right". Anyway, the wood was so unique I just had to show it.
Bill in Idaho

Image Insert:
20046112724_Olive%20Burl%20Cigar.jpg

82.3KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

I like to use the PSI dip finish with my own touch. I found the dip right out of the can or even cut to their specs is too thick. I cut it at least by half with a high quality lacquer thinner.

I first use a thin CA soak to prep the wood and then resand (400+). This prevents the dip coat to soak in and require bunches of dips. I will usually dip and then "helecopter" it around to remove as much as possible to prevent the dreaded drip marks or thickness on the settling end. Because I cut the dip as thin as I do, it is dry enough to recoat in about 15-30 minutes. Two or three coats just gives an excellent finish that shines like a mirror. One hint to prevent it from being thicker on the settling end...flip the blank over before each redip, so the other end will be down on your wire.

This works for me and I have only had to redo a couple when it is my fault (like dropping the wet blank in sawdust, or something real intelligent like that :)

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill, since you thin the coating out so much.. have you tried to apply it with a soft cloth with the lathe at the lowest speed... I think it would probably dry faster and also eliminate any possibility of settling... Just a thought... I have not tried this finish yet, but have been told it is the same as the brushable Deft in the can... so I am thinking of trying that, since I can get it locally and cheap...

ilikewood

Nope, haven't tried that, but I will. Considering my vast skill at putting smear streaks in a friction finish, I don't hold much promise. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom