Best way to Stabilize Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timcbs

Hi All,

I would like to know what is the best way to Stabilize Blanks and Scales, I have a bunch of Redwood Burl, Buckeye Burl and lots of other types of wood, I know there are many way but I am looking for the best way and not the lease expensive way and if I need a PRESSURE POT if 2 1/2 Gal would be a good size, I am going to sale the Scales and want them to be top notch.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I think if you are going to be doing it to sell then you really need to invest in the proper professional equipment and solutions and do the research to do it right. Most of the folks that are looking for this type of information here at IAP are trying to do it for their own use and get hobbiest results. The professional stuff can get real expensive, real fast so it may be best to just sub out the stabilizing part to the real professionals if you do not have the time or money to invest.

timcbs

OK, you talked me into it, there was a member on this forum named Druid do you know how good his work is?

timcbs

Hey Dawn,

I was going to call today but never had a chance, I placed an order about 2 weeks ago and it has not come yet, and can't find the tracking number, can you help.

Thanks

Rifleman1776

Actually stabilizing is not difficult.
The expense of buying equipment and solutions, chemicals, etc. is really the 'hard' part.
Do searches here. There are pressure advocates and there are vacuum advocates and then those who can't make up their minds and do both.
Personally, I belive in the KISS principal for doing things. I dissolve plexiglas in acetone, toss in the blanks and draw a vacuum. Works for me.

Dave38

I have a homemade vac chamber and now have a 2.5 gal. pot from HF. I use the ultraseal product and am very impressed so far. I have done short pieces and also a few 16"x1.5"x1.5" and they came out great. Now I just need to find a bigger pressure pot for the long pieces.
Dave

Top Bottom