Beginners Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ric

I am a recently new member, & a bit of a "newbie" when it comes to these types of sites. What I think I may require is some basic information of how to navigate this site.
I have a billion questions I wish to ask, however I don;t know where I need to go to ask them....Heck, I don't even know if this is the right place to start....
HELP!:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jack Parker

Ric, as a relative newbie myself (1 and 1/2 years), I am probably not the best to answer your questions but I am sure that others will chime in. I started by checking out the great information in the Library and lurking in the Forums. There is a ton of information here, and a bunch of folks that are not shy about sharing information ;) Welcome, and enjoy!!

magpens

Welcome, Ric, from a "near" neighbour (Canadian spelling, eh ?)

You might want to start by posting a very short message (just like the one you wrote above) in the forum called "Introductions" ... that's how most people introduce themselves.

But then I doesn't really matter ... you've already done that in this forum, or maybe you did that when you joined in February last year.

I'll bet the subject of "Pen Turning" is on your mind .... so there is a forum called "Pen Turning" .... you can ask your questions there.

Beyond that, just wing it !! You'll find your way around, and you'll feel right at home really quickly !

You won't need any lessons in navigating this site, really. You'll get the hang of it without much effort at all.

There is a member named Edohmann who kinda "looks after" new members. He'll certainly give you a warm welcome.

So what's your first question ? Well, I'll ask one ... do you have a lathe yet ? You probably do since you've been here for a year and a half. So what lathe do you have, and what tools do you use ? Where do you buy your "stuff" ? Do you know about penblanks.ca ?

Last edited:

dthayer

Welcome Ric!

I'm a newbie myself to pen turning but have a lot of experience with forum sites like this.

If you have questions on how to navigate and use a forum site and you don't want to post a new thread, feel free to PM me (that means to send me a private message -- you do that my clicking on my forum name (dthayer) in the upper left of this message and then selecting "Send a private message to dthayer")

You don't need to worry about creating threads, though, this site is full of very nice, helpful people that will go out of their way to help you.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Hi Ric,
As Mal noted, I am the New Member Advocate here at IAP, but as you have already noticed, we have a lot of members here who are ready and willing to answer any questions that you might have, so ask away and we'll do our best to help out.

Edgar

Top Bottom