Beall Collet Size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

I want to drill some 308 and 30-06 shell casings I've got. I'm assuming that the Beall Collet chuck is my best bet. So I emailed Charles at Woodchips asking which size I needed....no answer...maybe he's having email issues. Lord knows I do! Anyway my question is this: Are the sizes he lists for his collets the smallest they will close ....or it it the largest they will hold. The 308's I want to drill measure .470 just under 1/2 inch. Do I need a 1/2 collet or the next size up I think it is a 9/16. Or do I need the one under the half, the 7/16

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Originally posted by hanau
<br />why not use a drill press?
I like to drill cases on the lathe because that results in better concentricity than I can get on a drill press.

Right now, I'm using pin jaws on a chuck, but I am considering getting the Beall collet chuck. I suspet it would leave fewer marks on the case (and on the bullets, which I also drill out).

mick

Originally posted by Huzzah
<br />By the 3/4" collet. Then get 3/4" wood dowel (or turn your own) and drill that to the size you need. But a few slits in it to allow for compression and you have a collet within a collet. The wood won't scratch the shell and you can make whatever size you want for the cost of wood. I got this idea from Fangar, check out his photo album, he has pictures of what I described.

Thanks, Steve That's what I want to do ...I saw a picture of it done like that on Fangar's photo album, but didn't know how he did it. Now it's all clear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom