Baron FP Problem, help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

saltwein

Hello All,

I sold a baron fp at a show a couple of weeks ago and got a message from the owner yesterday. Never had this problem arise before. Just finished reading the information on adjusting the nib in the library. Does this sound like a nib adjustment problem? Any and all comments are appreciated.

"I have tried both using the converter with bottle ink and also new cartridges. With both ink sources the pen writes very nicely for a few sentences and then goes dry. If I wait for a while and then try it again, it starts writing OK, and then goes dry again after writing for a few minutes. It appears the wait has to be longer than 15-30 min, but I don't know exactly.

I have used fountain pens for more than 40 years and have never had this happen before. Do you have a suggestion?

There have been numerous questions and compliments on "my new pen." Plus, when it is flowing I have been quite happy with the way the nib writes. "

Regards, Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Sounds like a nib adjustment is in order, particularly flossing between the tines. If the articles don't solve your problem, drop me a private message or an email.

John Eberly

Fountain Pen issue

Lou probably would not say this, but -

You would solve the problem by changing to one of his steel nibs. I've used fountain pens for years, and the nibs in the kit pens seem rather inferior to most of the commercial pens out there.

saltwein

I thought it was probably a nib problem. I plan to swap out a nib from another pen, but wanted to make sure it worked well. I didn't see the piece in the nib articles on flossing the nib gap. Do you use regular dental floss for that. Thanks!

Regards, Steve

John Eberly

I thought it was probably a nib problem. I plan to swap out a nib from another pen, but wanted to make sure it worked well. I didn't see the piece in the nib articles on flossing the nib gap. Do you use regular dental floss for that. Thanks!

Regards, Steve

Don't use dental floss!

You'll bend the nib, fill it with wax, or probably break the stuff off in there and make the problem worse.

Lou's "flossing" reference is figurative - the same idea as cleaning your teeth but with different media. I use a 2 or 3 thousandths thick feeler gage leaf from a standard automotive feeler gage set. Buy a set at the auto parts store for a few bucks.

Read the "how to" carefully - the information is all there!

Top Bottom