Bad cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

Here is part of the first cast that I have made. The rattlesnake skin was OK and I made a pen of it, but this shark skin has what looks like water in the cast(I know its not water but it looks like it) at, I believe, the seam. Is this from the CA glue or something else. I thought I cleaned it good but may not have. Any ideas?

2006102014353_Failed.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I dont think it's a problem with the skin-to-tube, it looks like the resin lifted off the scales. The problem with skins are different people tan them and different skins probably act different. If the scales, for whatever reason, lift or just plain dont stick to resin, you're going to get this.

Did you rub the skins down with resin before covering them?

What did you cast them in?

Did you presurize the cast?

its_virgil

I bet that silvery watery shinny spot was on the side or bottom...air bubbles...man, that stinks when it happens...I know how you feel.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by smoky10
<br />Here is part of the first cast that I have made. The rattlesnake skin was OK and I made a pen of it, but this shark skin has what looks like water in the cast(I know its not water but it looks like it) at, I believe, the seam. Is this from the CA glue or something else. I thought I cleaned it good but may not have. Any ideas?

2006102014353_Failed.jpg

smoky10

Originally posted by Skye
<br />

Did you rub the skins down with resin before covering them?

What did you cast them in?

Did you presurize the cast?
I didn't rub them with resin first, I never heard of doing that but I can see where it would give the pour a good surface to bond to. I had them in tupper ware, in my pressure pot set at 40psi and left them for 8hrs.

The spots were on the top and before I cast them you couldn't see the seam. I'm sure they were glued all the way around.[?] On the blank on top the line is so straight that I believe thats the seam.

Skye

Yeah, I'd rub the next ones down, just to be safe. The seam overlapping, the solid side is the high side, the side that didnt bond was the bottom.

Wouldent hurt to rub something like a knife edge, softly, over the skins too. I've noticed rattlesnakes have a sort of 'skin' over each scale. They tend to flake off when a knife is rubbed over them. I dont know about your snake, but it's worth a shot.

Hey, next time may be perfect. Never know, go fer it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom