August GTG?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

If possible. don't have it on the 22nd. Some of us will be attending the Central Texas meeting and would like to come your way also.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Texatdurango

Just a thought..........

It's hot and getting hotter (for those who hadn't noticed).

Does anyone have an air conditioned shop that would like to host the meeting? If so, don't be bashful!

brez

Just a thought..........

It's hot and getting hotter (for those who hadn't noticed).

Does anyone have an air conditioned shop that would like to host the meeting? If so, don't be bashful!

Well, my shop is airconditioned, does anybody feel like coming up to Pilot Point again?

Thanks
Mike

Texatdurango

OK, so let's call it officially the 15th at Mike's shop. I'll put an email out to the distribution list I have for those who don't regurlarly check or have troublee finding this forum.

brez

15th sounds good, then those who wish can crash the central Texas meeting on the 22nd!

Any ideas on what we can share with each other?

George,

Do you think you can make one of your "kitless" pens. I would realy likr to see how you make them (as long as you won't have to kill me afterward).

Does anybody else have a technique or new material, or tool, that would be interesting?

Thanks
Mike

brez

I just talked with Sherry Driscoll. Sherry, Terry and Angela have been working hard to develope techniques for dying and stabilizing blanks. They will give us a little show and tell about what they have done. If we are lucky they will have some of their dyed blanks with them.

Thanks
Mike

Texatdurango

George,

Do you think you can make one of your "kitless" pens. I would realy likr to see how you make them (as long as you won't have to kill me afterward).

Does anybody else have a technique or new material, or tool, that would be interesting?

Thanks
Mike
Well, as long as it won't bore everyone to tears, I wouldn't mind. The last time I touched on the process, several were real interested but without handouts and a place to jot down a few notes, a lot of the details were soon forgotten so this time maybe I can put something down on paper and pass around to those interested.

brez

Well, as long as it won't bore everyone to tears, I wouldn't mind. The last time I touched on the process, several were real interested but without handouts and a place to jot down a few notes, a lot of the details were soon forgotten so this time maybe I can put something down on paper and pass around to those interested.

George,

I know I would be interested in seeing the whole process and handouts would be great also.

Thanks
Mike

byounghusband

Ok, sounds like it is on for 8/15/09 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at Brez's Shop. You all know turners can't live on sawdust alone.... :eek:

We need to set up some grub as well...

I'll bring some smoked chicken wings and my BBQ sauce... :eat:

Who else??!!??

brez

There are a few people in the area interested in tool sharpening techniques. Would anybody like to demonstarate their prefered methods. Maybe we could have several different tools and/or methods.

Thanks
Mike

Texatdurango

I'm a terrible tool sharpener but I can bring my tools if someone wants to sharpent them for me! LOL.
Funny, I was just gonna suggest someone bringing some tools for us to practice on! Are they nice and long?:biggrin:

Does anyone else finish off with a quick lap on the buffing wheel to get "shaving sharp" edges? If not, we can do a tool or two that way.

byounghusband

I'm bringing my slow speed grnder and wolverine set up and Veri-Grind.

George, if you wanna show lap and polish, it would definately add to the demo. I don't do that, but would like to learn that.....

Maybe we could talk Brez into showing off his Tormek wet-grinder:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

rlofton

Food

Mike -

Is there going to be a "cookout" or are we going out somewhere? If cooking at your place and since Lyle can't be there, I'll bring brats and buns if needed.

Thanks!

afdad

Guys, this is making me hungry. I'm new in the group, but food is the universal language, right? I was really looking forward to this meeting, but unfortunately, there is a strong possibility that I will be visiting my 96 year old dad in the Houston area on that weekend. The demos & activities sound great, though! Perhaps next month.

Bill

Texatdurango

George
Are you still planning to do a presentation on "making a kit-less pen"? If so, I'll bring a pad to take notes on.

Barry, Actually I re-sequenced some of the steps I take in making a kitless pen which pretty much eliminates the use of a special "closed end" mandrel so yes, I will show what I can with whatever time is alloted.

Top Bottom