Attention MPG demonstrators and demo list

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Okay everyone, this is a way PRELIMINARY demo list. I mean this is the first time I've written all this on paper. First, did I forget anyone? Don't be bashful, I'm not a master of organization, and I got a lot of information from a lot of people, basically all at the same time. I tried to stitch all my PM and posts together, and this is what I have. I want to have 25 and 45 minute demos, with another 5-10 minutes of Q&A added to that. ALL DEMONSTRATORS; please confirm that I am describing your demo accurately, how much time you want, and do you prefer Friday or Saturday. I haven't even added up demos versus available time, that's why I'm asking how much time each of you want. Everyone else, please expect changes.

Polymer clay-Bob Jackson (bobjackson)
Production pen turning-Gerry Wilhite (Chasper)
Penturning 101, tool sharpening and correct tool methods -Rich Coers (low_48)
Casting worthless wood-Pat Ankrom (Ankrom Exotics)
Casting snake skins-Alex Pomykalski (ZanderPommo)
Turning between centers, drilling on the lathe, carbide insert tools
-Mike Broberg (mbroberg)
Closed End Pens -Ed Brown (ed4copies)
Upgrading and working with fountain pen nibs-Ed Brown (ed4copies)
Stabilizing with Cactus Juice-Curtis Seebeck (MesquiteMan)
Casting with Aluminite-Curtis Seebeck (MesquiteMan)
Casting with polyester resin - Johnathon Brooks (Brook803)
Casting natural materials in resin- Eric Beuker (Buzzzz4)

ANY CORRECTIONS, ADDITIONS, SUBTRACTIONS, LET ME KNOW.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

First correction. Eric (Buzzzz4) will be doing a demo on filling engravings and voids. We both thought the list had a lot of casting demos! Thanks Eric.

Polymer clay-Bob Jackson (bobjackson)
Production pen turning-Gerry Wilhite (Chasper)
Penturning 101, tool sharpening and correct tool methods -Rich Coers (low_48)
Casting worthless wood-Pat Ankrom (Ankrom Exotics)
Casting snake skins-Alex Pomykalski (ZanderPommo)
Turning between centers, drilling on the lathe, carbide insert tools
-Mike Broberg (mbroberg)
Closed End Pens -Ed Brown (ed4copies)
Upgrading and working with fountain pen nibs-Ed Brown (ed4copies)
Stabilizing with Cactus Juice-Curtis Seebeck (MesquiteMan)
Casting with Aluminite-Curtis Seebeck (MesquiteMan)
Casting with polyester resin - Johnathon Brooks (Brook803)
Filling engravings and voids- Eric Beuker (Buzzzz4)

low_48

Ok so in order to make the demo preps, ive gotta know, will we be able to cast at the event? Should we bring our own resin?

You are the second guy to ask. A hazard of having casting demos may be the smell. What if the union decides that smell is damage to the building? Is actual pouring resin a necessity to your demo? My turning club had to put up a $500 damage deposit. Vendors are putting up a $50 damage deposit as part of making money at the show, but the amount from them will not cover the $500. I don't want my club to be stuck with a bill after this show. You tell me, is pouring resin worth it?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Brooks and I were discussing this problem a couple days ago. When you want to show the texture of the resin as it "gels", well, that ain't gonna happen with water as a "stand-in" for the resin.

SOOOOOOoooooooo, how about taking a short video at home and bringing IT to the union hall?? I'm sure Dawn and I could bring a screen that is about 2 ft--we used it at the pen shows. Then, when you reach that part of the demo, play the video, showing the texture.

Think it would work???

Brooks803

I think I've figured out a way to do everything without using resin. The smell can get pretty bad so I fully understand not wanting to risk your deposit. Ed, I think what we talked about will work really well. A short trip to a grocery store and I'll be set!

Top Bottom