Mini Review Artisan fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I have a lady customer who wants a slender pink fountain pen. Most FPs are heavy 'macho' things and she has rejected several already.
So, I decided to make an Artisan from Craft Supply. The material used was the last blank of several made by and given to me by our own Rootin Tootin Johnny Wooten. Very pretty stuff.
Turning was routine. Problems started with assembly. As you can see, there is no hardware at the bottom end of the cap. This leaves a very ugly, kinda 'naked' look. The top requires a recess cut for the clip. The instructions only say to cut a notch without explaining why, where, how. This is time consuming and a potential for disaster. I would reject this kit again if this feature were the only undesirable part of the process.
A flimsy plastic part must be inserted into the cap and sorta 'screwed' in for the pen to hold closed. This is awkward to do and was not successful for me. The plastic part can get torn up in the process very easily.
You will note in the close up photo that the bottom of the cap looks like I did not turn down properly. Not so. I turned down to the provided bushing. The sizing is what is wrong. Also, if you saw the pen in person, the cap looks like I did not square the blank and tube. Again, not so. They are squared but they do not fit on the parts squarely.
All in all, the end result is a total disaster.
I complained to CS about the problems and they offered to "repair" the pen. I really couldn't tell what they had done when it came back.
This kit, along with the Havana will be put on my 'never again' list. I don't like losing time and money. But that is what happened with this kit.
I recommend avoiding. The search continues for an elegant, slender fountain pen fit for a lady. I will also have to purchase some more pink material.

Attachments

• pink Artisan closed.jpg
    pink Artisan closed.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 456
  • pink Artisan close-up.jpg
    pink Artisan close-up.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 393
  • pink Artisan open.jpg
    pink Artisan open.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 462
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good to know,I almost bought that kit for a wedding pen I am doing. I bought the americana instead. I built the rollerball and it looks good and went together well. The cap snaps on so you may want to use a little lock tite on the threads. I also built a classic american fountain pen from woodcraft and my wife has small hands and she loves it.

Rifleman1776

Thanks for the comments. All in all, I'm really ticked off about this experience. Not so much just the wasted time and material for the pen. But the fact that one of the most reputable vendors out there sells something like this and charges quite a bit for the kit. There is simply no excuse for it. Buyers need to have confidence in the product and seller when they plunk down good money. These kits are, without a doubt, very high profit items for the vendors there is no excuse for them selling junk.

Cindylee

Good assessment Frank. I turned two of these and I think they are real junk. They are the flimsiest pens I have ever seen. What I have done with them is put them on the low end and tell people that they are a great pen for a youngster to "learn" how to write with a fountain pen. I make it clear that they are not the type of quality that the other pen hardware has. People seem to understand and so far I still have both of them. Not sure what they were thinking when they made this kit.

Happy Turning,

Cindylee

Lenny

Like you I learned the hard way, although it took me longer to wise up. =0)
I now much prefer the series 2000 Flat top American with it's threaded cap connection. a much nicer kit for about the same amount of $$.

Rifleman1776

Cindylee:
Thanks for the validation. Glad to know I'm not alone.
Lenny:
Thanks also. I'll consider the American flat top.
Really don't understand why CS would sell something like the Artisan. Oh, well, it's their P&L.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Maybe because they have been selling it since the early 1990's???

By today's standards, there are better choices, welcome to the world WE lived in, BEFORE IAP, and internet, and Y2K, and,,,,,,well that's all I remember.

Rifleman1776

Maybe because they have been selling it since the early 1990's???

By today's standards, there are better choices, welcome to the world WE lived in, BEFORE IAP, and internet, and Y2K, and,,,,,,well that's all I remember.

You are right. But things do change. I would hope that CS has changed with the times. I believe pen turners are more sophisticated today than they were back in the 'old days'.
This model pen is the equivalent of Ford still trying to sell the Edsel.

Texatdurango

Frank, I totally disagree with your assesment of the kit.

So as to not upset you or anyone else or have my disagreement be considered a personal attack on you, I wrote my own review of the kit.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, George, the "snap cap" in those pens needs to be "adjusted" to make a snug fit at the centerband. Well, I needed to sand off part of the plastic piece, but when I made those kits I could very well have been taking off too much brass while "facing", too.

The snap, once adjusted correctly, does seem to hold there. As I attempt to recall ancient history, I don't believe I ever got one returned. Around 1996-1999, I sold quite a few. (hundreds)

Texatdurango

Actually, George, the "snap cap" in those pens needs to be "adjusted" to make a snug fit at the centerband. Well, I needed to sand off part of the plastic piece, but when I made those kits I could very well have been taking off too much brass while "facing", too.

The snap, once adjusted correctly, does seem to hold there. As I attempt to recall ancient history, I don't believe I ever got one returned. Around 1996-1999, I sold quite a few. (hundreds)

I agree but actually see the adjusting task no more difficult than squaring up the ends of the blanks before pressing the tubes into the mating parts.

Recalling ancient history.... don't strain yourself, that was a long time ago!

I forgot why but I uploaded the attached photo last year and these two pens have been in my desktop carosel since then and I have used them dozens and dozens or even hundreds of times and the caps snap on today just as snug as they did over a year ago.

I haven't sold but a couple but I have given away at least a dozen to friends and customers who wanted to try a fountain pen but didn't want to "risk" the cost of a "nice" pen. I actually attribute the sale of at least a couple "high end" pens to giving someone one of these "beginner" fountain pens!

Not a bad little pen, maybe I should write a mini review so members can decide for themselves.

Attachments

• artisan fp.jpg
    artisan fp.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you do, please pay special attention to the cap length. As I have pondered this, I do wonder if my "facing technique" at the time was the cause of having to shorten the plastic insert. I would appreciate the feedback (OR, I COULD take one of the 200 I have in the basement and make it myself:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:-----NAH, I'll go with YOUR feedback!!)

Lenny

Every time I have made one (maybe a dozen) I have always had to trim the plasic nib cap .... usually at least an 1/8 of an inch. I always measure the tubes and make sure when trimming the blanks not to deviate from that measurment.
I have had one returned to me for "repair" when the nib cap came unscrewed.
It is what it is .... an inexpensive kit.

Top Bottom