Arthritis size cigars (SOLD)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is true I don't post a lot of pics. These, however, show a "cut" that I have had some success with. Feel free to copy if you have the desire.

2005921171414_bluegnsetbetnet.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Anthony,

No, that's an old acryligem (don't know if its still available, I hated the stuff!) Now that I have turned more pens, it is not as difficult as I remembered.

This was an order based on an old pen she saw me displaying, and the design, etc. (customer dictated, Ed did!!!!)

Thanks for looking!!

PS All my "homebrew" resins are Dawn products-SHE is the artist (Pen potion #9 TM)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony,

Spent a little time last night researching the material-it is called Azurite/Malachite acryligem and I bought it from WOC (now apparently out of business, but my main supplier in mid 1990's.)

Did a little more research this morning-it is still available from Hut Products, their number 1053.

(It does look a little like the earth from space, doesn't it?? Never noticed)

PenWorks

Ed, just curious, do you just turn resin pens ? or do you do a small percentage of wood as well. I remember you once said you did not want to compete with Dick Sing in the wood pen business, since you guys worked the same shows.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony,

GOOD memory. Dick retired from craft shows about 2000 (same year crafting fell through the floor-maybe Dick did it!!!). So I do turn SOME wood-mostly on demand from my customers. Did a wedding order of 15 Aussie pens-Red Mallee, Coulibah, etc. They were kinda fun, but I worry about cracking since I have a history of that problem.

I have to say I have learned more about finishing wood from this site (thanks, primarily to Griz) and am, therefore, a little more confident as I turn a few wood pens for the Christmas shows. But, my level of comfort is still much greater with resin, plastic, acrylic and other "non-natural stuff" (to quote Eagle).

One major factor is the way I can bounce halogen light off of my acrylics. In the craft fair world, he who stops the prospect stands the best chance of SELLING the prospect. A million colors on display will stop most anyone. They may BUY wood, but they probably would have walked by, with a monochrome wood display (at least that's MY opinion).

This year we will be adding "oddball" pens, as well. Corncobs, used jeans (denim), slow snakes (the fast ones get away), bullets & antler, bowling balls, etc. I will also be turning at a couple indoor shows (experiment). We know the shows have continuously declined in recent years, so I am trying to keep people IN the booth to buy pens, etc, but, more important, to shop and buy stained glass!!! She pays the booth fees, MY job to get them in and KEEP them there!!

In short, I am not anti-wood, but I really like a shiny plastic to stop traffic!

Aren't you sorry you asked!!??
[|)][|)][|)][|)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom