Any interest for a meet and greet in the SW PA region?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turner.curtis

So having been a member for a few months and watching this forum thread, it appears that the Tri-State group is not active at all. That being said I am in the opposite corner of the state from the true "Tri-State" area, being in Pittsburgh. I personally am not aware of any shop locations we could use, but would love to hear some ideas from others in the region that are interested and have some ideas about how to get together and share some of our experiences and knowledge.

For me thus far this group has been a great resource to share information and gather recommendations and would like to give back in some way, and figure the grass roots perspective of trying to organize a local event maybe a good segue in. So as I asked for above any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas are welcomed for how we can get together in this area and have some of the fun other regions are having.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turner.curtis

So I have talked to a local Volunteer Fire Department and the local Rockler although I have to follow back up with Rockler and talk to the manager. The VFD has given me permission to host an event in their banquet hall with the ability to setup out in one of the bays for turning / sanding and etc.

All that said it is possible that I could coordinate a location or 2 for us to meet and greet with potential for someone to give a demo. Is there any interest?

MarkD

I would be interested but I'm in North East Pennsylvania right on the New York / Pennsylvania border so south west PA is a long haul for me. Central PA or western New York would be better for me.

Does anyone know if there is a New York group? I didn't see one in the list of groups.

-Mark

Robert Taylor

pittsburg is about an hour and a half for me which is within reasonable driving distance. columbus is just over two hours and the ohio chapter has not had a meeting in almost two years now so i have been driving to the detroit area for two years and that is a four hour drive each way. so yes i'm interested.

turner.curtis

Okay - for those of you in this region, Rockler on McKnight Road in Pittsburgh has offered to allow us to use their location for regular meetings. The manager has even extended an offer for a standing 10% discount for all IAP member who would identify themselves as such. They would be willing to tally member purchases in conjunction to provide the group with further discounts and door prizes for meetings.

That said the manager asked if we would be interested in having our first meeting Wednesday Feb 23 as that coincides with a representative from Sorby coming in from England to give a demo in which pen turning will be discussed.

That said I need to reach out to IAP management and make sure that I am not overstepping any bounds and that they are amicable to us using the IAP name and hosting regular events in this region.

Mark

Curtis, Did anything ever come of the meetings? Your well outside of my range to get there, but there seems to be a good number of folks from the west side of PA that could get involved. It would be great to see something happen in the Tri-State Region. Later...

randyrls

Mark and ALL; Maybe a monthly meeting is not in the cards because of the distances involved. A Quarterly, semi-annual, or annual get together could be possible.

What are your thoughts? The local Woodcraft (Harrisburg, PA) is open to group meetings and will even let us use their work area, but probably not on a weekend.

Top Bottom