Antler Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Here is a very good tutorial on the subject. It's how I like to do it and it works well.
http://sarkon.net/poppopshop/ Click on the Antler Tutorial.

Make a template from clear plastic like in the tutorial and it's real easy to see if your antler is big enough. Save the smaller stuff, you never know what you might need it for. I've made a few pen stands with the smaller stuff.
Here's one I made using scraps.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Ryan, not as complicated as it looks, just give it a try. Start with bigger end of antler to make the first few and you will quickly get a feel for what you need. I use the tips and other small pieces of antler to make accents or finials for antler.cartridge pens.

RICK, THANKS FOR POSTING THAT SITE!! Sometime ago I read here about that simple gauge to figure where to drill on an antler. I just could not get my head around what it looked like and how it worked. SO SIMPLE. I feel so dumb!

jttheclockman

Rick

Thanks for that site. I bbokmarked that one. Again we learned something and that little guage block is a smart tool.

cozee

If you follow the link already provided to Poppop's site and go to the antler tutorial, you will find that if you follow his method, at least for sizing, marking, and drilling antler blanks, it becomes quite easy to do. You can also apply this sizing technique to about anything you may have any questions about using for a blank, especially for odd sized items. I now manage to get a whole lot more "bucks" out of a rack!!!!!

jttheclockman

Question for those that choose to use antler for bullet pens and other pens, what precautions do you take when working with antler??? Is it as hazardous as I have been reading health wise??? Do I need to wear my Trend air shield when working with this stuff??? Is it worth the effort to even turn this stuff. I see it used alot and it does look great when finished but at what cost??? Health issues with wood dust is one thing but issues with bacteria and other contaminents in antler maybe another. Thanks for your replys.

rherrell

I don't wear any kind of mask but I do have dust collection piped in to every tool in my shop and that makes a big difference. If you don't have dust collection then wearing a mask is a good idea no matter what kind of material you're working with.
Cutting antler produces a little dust, not much, and turning it produces ribbons much like plastic. Some people are offended by the smell but to me it just smells like money.:wink::biggrin:

tim self

One other tidbit of info, I've seen somewhere but not mentioned in POPPOP. For maximum utilization of a rack. The antler may be boiled, then placed in a vice. Sometimes this must be done multiple times to achieve a straighter blank. I then wait a day or so before using to allow the marrow to dry before drilling.

Paul in OKC

The tines also make fun key chains. I drill ahole about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep, shape the end around the hole to close to size. The cut off the tube to the length to put in, press the ring part in first, then glue it into the antler.

redisland

This is great info - I have another question. I have a very old piece of antler that was hanging outside on my grandfather's shed for many years. It must be at least 40 years old. I'm thinking there must be an issue with the antler being brittle. Can anyone provide advice or info on whether or not this can be turned?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Antler is HIGH in proteins, while not extremely dangerousin small exposers I would wear a good dust mask at a minimum. Prolonged breathing of the dust in would have a long term, adverse effect, on ones health.

Antler is HIGH in proteins, while not extremely dangerousin small exposers I would wear a good dust mask at a minimum. Prolonged breathing of the dust in would have a long term, adverse effect, on ones health.

Have read same cautions about turning antler... I always make sure the DC is running and usually have a fan blowing on the work, but also keep a dust mask on for further protection... I've noticed on the few occasions where I didn't wear the mask, I would get enough irritation on the nostrils that I would go into violent sneezing fits.

Otherwise, I don't think it's any more hazardous than some of the woods we turn... I have same reactions from several different woods... a mask is wise whenever we turn.

workinforwood

What to do with the extra two prong, three prong, tips etc...

One prong can be a pen finial.
2 prongs can be a pen holder.
3 prongs, a perfect back scratcher.
2 prongs of equal length, an excellent and effective medieval eye stabbing weapon.
2 sets of 2 prongs makes for an excellent grabbing stick.
2 full sets of 7 prongs are for redneck Michigan wanna be Texans to decorate the hood of their car.

tiny cutt-offs most commonly used for lamps, chandeliers, jewelry, buttons, and decorative switch covers.

Really tiny cut-offs are then ground into a powder and you drink it to increase your verility, as well as ward off any future woman that would consider dating you.

workinforwood

This is great info - I have another question. I have a very old piece of antler that was hanging outside on my grandfather's shed for many years. It must be at least 40 years old. I'm thinking there must be an issue with the antler being brittle. Can anyone provide advice or info on whether or not this can be turned?

It might be fine, but chances are the marrow inside is so dried out that it looks like a wafer cracker and drills like one too. That isn't unsalvagable either, it's just not as simple as a typical antler. I rather like the wafer dry pithy antlers, now that people made me keep mine. You drill a 1/4 inch hole down the center and pump the antler full of plastic. That fills most the voids and stabilizes the antler for turning and longevity.

I've been a real jerk lately. I have matured since the last time I logged in, and I see that my comments and remarks are not of the best nature. Thanks to all of those who have encouraged all types of pen turning. I haven't made a pen since early fall of '09 and won't be able to make another for a bit. My dad's got the bike in the back of our garage, right where the lathe/drill press/band saw/dust collector is. I wish I could turn my bedroom into a round-the-clock work shop for all things turning. < That sounded cool when I thought of it.
See ya' around the forums,
Ryan

One other tidbit of info, I've seen somewhere but not mentioned in POPPOP. For maximum utilization of a rack. The antler may be boiled, then placed in a vice. Sometimes this must be done multiple times to achieve a straighter blank. I then wait a day or so before using to allow the marrow to dry before drilling.

Could you give us all a bit more detail on this? How long should it stay in the pot? Would it be best to NOT put it in the microwave? Silly brother... Only saying this because my older brother who has no experience with power tools or boiling antlers did this and it cracked down the middle. Are there any stores that you all know of that sell antlers? I don't know where I'd find any. Not a big hunter.

Wheaties

Could you give us all a bit more detail on this? How long should it stay in the pot? Would it be best to NOT put it in the microwave? Silly brother... Only saying this because my older brother who has no experience with power tools or boiling antlers did this and it cracked down the middle. Are there any stores that you all know of that sell antlers? I don't know where I'd find any. Not a big hunter.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58146

Top Bottom