Anti Seize Lube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Nova chucks call for anti seize lube on the screws that secure the jaws. I'm seeing different types of lube...copper, aluminum. What specific type is used...or do you not use it at all. Thanks, frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Teknatool mentions Rocol J166 which is a copper / molybdenum / graphite anti-sieze. But they also mention grease or oil.

I use oneway chucks and I just use grease or bowling alley wax (I keep a can in the shop for all sorts of uses) every now and then on the screws. If I was going to be heating the chucks to over a thousand degrees I would probably use anti-sieze, but I'm not and I don't. The chucks are going on 15 years old and I haven't had a problem.

Ed

gtriever

I haven't used it on the lathe, but I have used it in the past for stainless to stainless hardware to prevent thread galling. The specific one we used was Permatex Nickel.

Last edited:

Gary H

G'day Frank. In my case, the answer is "not used at all". I live near the coast with a lot of salt air, and have never had a problem with the retaining screws when changing the jaws.
Have just changed one set of jaws after 6 years and the screws came undone easily.

Cheers, Gary H

gtriever

As a side note, if I use any kind of lube around the lathe, it's a Dry Lube unless there's a specific need for some type of grease.

BKelley

Going back to the years I spent at the airplane patch and if my memory is not failing too badly I believe the different alloys used in anti seize compounds as to do with the heat generatred or encountered on the parts that the compound is used on.

Ben

Terredax

Going back to the years I spent at the airplane patch and if my memory is not failing too badly I believe the different alloys used in anti seize compounds as to do with the heat generatred or encountered on the parts that the compound is used on.

Ben
That is true. Silver is 1600 degrees, Copper 1800 degrees, and Nickel 2400 degrees. There are also metal-free versions that reach 2400 degrees. There are also marine and food safe versions available.

I use the Nickel for spark plugs into aluminum heads. Prevents galling and stripping threads. It makes removing the plugs a snap.

SteveG

I used the copper based compound on three Nova chucks/jaw sets. Then someone stole all my woodworking and lathe stuff during my recent move from Hawaii to Oregon. :mad:

I hope the thief was able to change the jaws with ease, if he did not like the jaws I had mounted.:rolleyes:

Woodchipper

I use a dark grey anti-seize to lube the choke inserts in my shotgun. My father said it was the same thing they used on spark plugs on C-47s. Got it many years ago from a customer who used it on large hinge pins.

WriteON

Then someone stole all my woodworking and lathe stuff during my recent move from Hawaii to Oregon. :mad:
We need more jails. Anyway may they get stomach cramps while stuck in traffic.
I've never used lube on my chuck. I order to do that I would have had to read the instructions that came with the chuck.
Reading is good. Would not understand about centering the jaws if not for instructions.

Top Bottom