Another Maloof style rocking chair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

rherrell

This is my best chair yet, i.e. the one with the fewest mistakes.:wink::biggrin: It's made from cherry with walnut accents.
Please be kind!:biggrin::biggrin:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cherry Rocker 001a.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 001a.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,216
  • Cherry Rocker 002a.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 002a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • Cherry Rocker 003a.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 003a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,217
  • Cherry Rocker 004a.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 004a.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • Cherry Rocker 005.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 005.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,377
  • Cherry Rocker 006.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 006.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Cherry Rocker 007.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 007.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Cherry Rocker 008.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 008.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Cherry Rocker 009.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 009.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,242
  • Cherry Rocker 010.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 010.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Cherry Rocker 011.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 011.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Cherry Rocker 012a.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 012a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Cherry Rocker 013.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 013.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Cherry Rocker 014.jpg
    Cherry Rocker 014.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,083
Last edited:

MartinPens

Rick,

Fantastic. I have been to the Maloof place several times. A very nice rendition on the rocking chair!

Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

jd99

Thats a great looking chair!! How many hours you think you have in it?

I live not to far from Maloof's house, actually grew up in RanchoCucamonga (It was Cucamonga back then) and met him a couple of times when he came to the high school I went to, and at another event.

If you ever get a chance to tour his place; do it it's amazing. :)

razor524

Great chair, did you use Hal Taylor's plans or some other plans? I have this on my list of things to do and was just considering purchasing the plans from Hal.

ttpenman

+1 to the WOW's and Craftsmanship!!

Fewest mistakes?? The only mistake I would have made on a project like this would have been starting it!!

Lately I really felt like a hack when a guy brought some Adirondack chairs into my store for consignment sales -- beautifully done in Cedar, nice joints -- and the guy was BLIND!! I better stick to small things like pens -- they're at least fair. (I used to think they were pretty nice until I see all the incredible pieces on this site that make mine look like BIC's)

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

rherrell

Thanks for all the kind words! This was my fifth one and I can see and feel improvement in each one. When I decided to start building these I was really intimidated but that feeling has pretty much gone away.

Thats a great looking chair!! How many hours you think you have in it? Since I'm disabled and need crutches to walk it takes me alot longer than it would an able bodied person, it takes me about 120hrs. each because I have to do everything sitting down. The guy I learned from does one in 40hrs..

I live not to far from Maloof's house, actually grew up in RanchoCucamonga (It was Cucamonga back then) and met him a couple of times when he came to the high school I went to, and at another event.

If you ever get a chance to tour his place; do it it's amazing. :)

Great chair, did you use Hal Taylor's plans or some other plans? I have this on my list of things to do and was just considering purchasing the plans from Hal.

Yes, I used Hals plans. I would encourage you to make one, Hal has a great set of plans and you can contact him if you have any problems, he's very helpful in that regard. Get his DVD too, it REALLY helps to SEE someone building one!!!:biggrin:

Haynie

Yes I can see the mistakes and I think, if I had made the chair, I would want it out of my site as soon as possible. So in order to keep you from having to live with such a beauti...uh...mistake ridden chair I would be willing to take on the burden of keeping it for you. I would even pay the shipping.:biggrin:

The walnut accents are a very nice touch.

Seeing a Maloof chair was what got me seriously thinking about wood working.

ctubbs

PLEASE BE KIND!!!! What are you talking about!! Rick, that is a piece of art. That chair, if it can even be placed in that low a class, is too fine a piece of craftsmanship to ever have a dirty pair of pants even come close to being dumped upon the seat. What gorgeous work. I can only pray to make a kitchen cabinet that does not rock and you produce such a wonderful item. I bow to your talent. Thanks for showing and encouraging and showing.
Charles

its_virgil

A very very nice chair and excellent craftsmanship. I have nothing but admiration for those of you who can do work like this. I hope to be a furniture maker in my next life.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Lenny

One of my co-workers has started making one .... (right now it's just a bunch of mdf patterns) :)

This one's a beauty ... as were the other ones you made. :cool:

ALA

I love the rocker. Next time you take pics. hang a white sheet behind it. The back ground is distracting.

I agree on the back ground. I had to check out your shop in each pic, nice! and great work on the chair. I saw one in a local shop and couldn't imagine how it would be built!
Alfred

Dale Lynch

great loking chair,fine craftsmanship all theway.Forgive my question out of ignorance, but what is the purpose of he sack splitter?

Hendu3270

Pretty sure you don't have to ask anyone to "be kind", that is a piece of work. Very nice. All the sanding that must have gone into that scares the heck out of me. I HATE sanding! ugh. But it seems to agree with you. Two thumbs up!!

Didn't realize this was an old thread. Some yahoo must have bumped it:biggrin:

Last edited:

Rodnall

It might be an old thread but it's the first time I've seen it. I bought Hal's plans but haven't been able to figure out how to pay for the rest of the tools i'd need and the wood. He now sells the wood kit for only $1395. But some day. Nicely done, by way.

firewhatfire

So if a few of us came up and stayed at your house, how long would we ha e to stay before you drew names and gave the chair to one of us to make us leave?

That or taught us how to make one.

Phil

Top Bottom