An open letter to all Ontario chapter members

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have been contacted by CSue and have volunteered for the time being to be the point person of the Ontario Chapter. It is not a responsibility I really want, so anyone else feel free to takeover at anytime.

It's all well and good to call ourselves a chapter, but there are some responsiblities of each member to be able to do that.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37025

Here's a link to becoming a recognized chapter. I'm not sure that we qualify in this regard. Comments invited from everyone. Louis in Quebec, kindly take part in this discussion as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMadore

I dunno how we don't qualify, Mack: We have more than 5 people, and I'm sure that we can scare up at least one meeting per year... Heck, there are 6 or 7 of us right here in Ottawa, so there has to be more than that down there in the civilized corner of Ontario ;)

Cheers!

Gary

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Gary et all; I've tabulated 22 penturners that have said they were interested. I'm not sure how many have stayed around.

I know there are more penturners around the GTA. The difficulty is getting them interested etc.

OK, we are a Chapter! Where do we go from here?

GaryMadore

OK, we are a Chapter! Where do we go from here?

YeeHAW!

OK, so we get our own section of the forum now... I say we start by posting in it and bashing all foreigners.

After that, we organize a meeting. Wait, two meetings: One for NCR and the other for GTA. No, wait, 3 meetings: One for NCR, one for GTA, and the other for the goober in that part of Ontario that really belongs to Manitoba...

And then, and THEN maybe we organize a swap. Wives or pens - you decide.

Seriously, Mack, I'm thinkin' baby steps: Get the forum up first - build it and they will come. After that, and when we have 20 or so people posting, we organize an Autumn function (TO area works for me) in someone's garage and call it a meetin'

And if we never manage to actually get a meeting off the ground we just lie and say we did...

Cheers!

Gary

GaryMadore

I was just thinking...

We also need to have a vote and elect an executive.

The way I see it, we need:

President
Executive Vice President
Vice President - GTA
Vice President - NCR
Vice President - Too Close to Winnipeg to Really be in Ontario
Vice President - Rural and Northern other than Thunder Bay/Kenora
Vice President - Group Purchases
Vice President - Social
Vice President - Swaps
Vice President - Webmaster/Moderator
Treasurer
Deputy Treasurer
Vice Treasurer
Assistant Treasurer
Assistant Associate Treasurer
Assistant Associate Treasurer - GTA
Assistant Associate Treasurer - NCR
Assistant Associate Treasurer - Too Close to Winnipeg to Really be in Ontario
Assistant Associate Treasurer - Rural and Northern other than Thunder Bay/Kenora
Sergeant at Arms (holds keys to the booze lockers)
Shop Steward
Lead Hand

Um, how many members didya say we had?

;)

Gary

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this group and am interested in being a part of the Ontario Chapter. Heck, I even live in Ontario. I live in Oakville.

I'll be happy to take on the role of Sargent at Arms. You guys supply the booze ... right? Do I get a say as to what gets stocked?

Michael

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hiya Michael!

I'm not sure that there's even a chapter here.

If so, well, we're a quiet bunch ;)

Cheers!

Gary (Ottawa)
While there is an Ontario chapter, that includes anybody on IAP from Ontario, it's difficult to get members to travel anywhere. As well, TO seems to be the dividing line, east/west, and the weather impacts also during the winter months.

I'm really at a loss to know what to do to bring everyone together. Any and all suggestions are welcome, just remember organization isn't just up to one person!

darrin1200

Hi all.

I would be happy to join this chapter and help out with a bit of the organizing.
Sorry Mack but before you say it, I don't have the time to run the whole thing.

Do you have a list of all interested members and there locations. Maybe I can plot them out, do some contacting and find a compromise location to do at least one meeting.

Driving isn't a big deal for me, as I do the Windsor to Wasaga run just about every weekend.

Like I said I would love to help out if I can.

Darrin

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi all.

I would be happy to join this chapter and help out with a bit of the organizing.
Sorry Mack but before you say it, I don't have the time to run the whole thing.

Do you have a list of all interested members and there locations. Maybe I can plot them out, do some contacting and find a compromise location to do at least one meeting.

Driving isn't a big deal for me, as I do the Windsor to Wasaga run just about every weekend.

Like I said I would love to help out if I can.

Darrin
Hi Darrin; Here's the original post where turners said they were interested in being part of the Ontario chapter. I'm not certain how many are still around or if in fact they stayed around. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37298

A map of where everyone lives with a list of their names etc. would be a great starting point. I don't mind sending out pm's to all to see if they are still interested. We could go from there!

Bellsy

Well Mack it seems like there is a bit of a dilemma with having an Ontario Chapter. The obvious reason is by our provinces mere size. May I offer a suggestion to the problem and that would be to divide the province into 4 zones. North, South, East and West. As an example, it's pretty hard to expect members from Thunder Bay and Windsor to make the same meeting.

There is also the idea of something similar to the AAW and how the guilds are set up for locations.

That's all I have to offer at this time, unless someone can think of a better solution.

Dave

jkoehler

I have been outta commission for a while and just noticed this thread.
I am interested in joining the group.
I agree that splitting the province into 4 sounds about correct and then maybe once a year all get together?

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I agree that splitting the province into 4 sounds about correct and then maybe once a year all get together?
Hi Jeff; Note your post of 2009.11.26, you were in then, and are still in now!

As far as dividing the province into 4 groups, I have no problem with that. I'm just not about to do it. If anyone feels they are in a particular zone etc., I'd just leave it up to them to suggest the dividing lines which should be very fuzzy, and see how many interested parties they would have.

As far as the dividing lines being fuzzy, I'm suggesting some members could possibly belong to a couple of groups. It's up to them with respect to how far they wish to travel. I started my career with the Telco. Dec. 8/'58 in Mt. Forest. I could be talked into attending a meeting there.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North

Once a year get together for everyone? Sure...first site Ear Falls? :)

Ontario is too big to facilitate everyone getting together...it's just not feasible.

You Southies should try and get together often, however - it seems like a great way to learn from each-other!

Bellsy

Well lets collectively put our heads together and see what sort of fuzzy boundaries we can arrive at. Or better yet lets decide on a few cities/towns to choose from to arrive at a final 4. Unfortunately the province is huge and there is going to be a bit of travel involved for most folks. My biggest concern is probably for the folks in the north. Winter is the greatest set back, followed by the distance between major cities/towns.

Dave

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think I'm the only fellow on here from the North, Dave, so I wouldn't worry...I'll hold my own chapter meetings up here in the cold! :biggrin:

Sounds like you guys are on the right track - now get busy choosing some meeting cities, and get turning!!

darrin1200

Good Day all

I told Mack a while ago, that I would try to sort out where everyone was located. I finally got started using my mapping software.

Using a thread Mack pointed me to, I have made a list of people who expressed an interest in starting an Ontario chapter. I got 27 names from that. I made a map showing where everyone is. The number beside the city name is how many people in that city.

(tack in Sault St. Marie) and (maxwell smart007 in Kenora) are on the map, but I couldn't show them in the printed version because when I magnafied that large to print, the city names got all messed up.

As you can see we are spreadout across Ontario. But I think it is very doable to have one chapter meeting per year. Throughout the rest of the year, smaller meetings could be held in various locations and attendance would be based on whoever showed up. Using a 2-3 hour driving window, this should give a decent attendance at the sub meetings. Then there is always the nuts like me that think a 5 hour drive is no problem. This would however require member participation in organizing.

I also went through the IAP member list, and found 142 other names that are from Ontario, Canada. Now some of these people have never posted. Some havn't been back since they joined, while others are lurking in the sidelines. I don't believe this list is complete, as not everyone marks down a location and no one use the same location format (Makes it hard to search)

The attached Adobe document shows the map and the list. The green hilighted names are the ones that expressed interest, and are posted on the map.

Before I go through and map all the Ontario IAP, I am going to post another call to interested parties. We have had quite a few people join that may not be aware of this section.

Let's see what happens.

Attachments

• IAP Ontario Members.pdf
    433.4 KB · Views: 641

Bellsy

Great work Darrin, it does look like this can be done. As for the driving part of it, I log quite a few miles myself and it usually isn't a problem to do some driving.

I sure hope we get a few more people interested and on board.

Dave

Ric

Good Day gentlemen, & I use that term very loosely when referring to you "Middle Easterners."
I hail from what you have in past refereed to as "Lotusland." & being as of yet I have not heard of another CANADIAN chapter other than this one, I am sending you this light hearted jab.
Is this chapter open to all Canadians, even those west of what you like to refer to as "Canada's Industrial Heartland."
You may refer to BC'ers as "Granola People" as they are mostly nuts & flakes, however there are a million or so of us who do not fit into the "tree-hugging" category, & really don't secretly mind being associated with an Ontario organization, as long as it's not advertised of course.......So what do ya' say eh" Can this right-wing Johnny Canuck jump in as well?

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good Day gentlemen, & I use that term very loosely when referring to you "Middle Easterners."
I hail from what you have in past refereed to as "Lotusland." & being as of yet I have not heard of another CANADIAN chapter other than this one, I am sending you this light hearted jab.
Is this chapter open to all Canadians, even those west of what you like to refer to as "Canada's Industrial Heartland."
You may refer to BC'ers as "Granola People" as they are mostly nuts & flakes, however there are a million or so of us who do not fit into the "tree-hugging" category, & really don't secretly mind being associated with an Ontario organization, as long as it's not advertised of course.......So what do ya' say eh" Can this right-wing Johnny Canuck jump in as well?
You're in Ric, to be hailed as RB from ths day forth, for no particular reason other than no particular reason!

Top Bottom