Amboyna Burr Jr.Gent - New favourite wood!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from philb

philb

Hi,

My first attempt at Amboyna, have seen people raving about it on here so thought I'd give it a go! Have to say its right up there with my favourites like Bocote and Mallee now!

Wood was purchased from WolfDancer, and this was a freebie in the envelope, excellent quality!
Finish is CA and photos are taken outside in natural light, Mark Ligget style!
(Thanks for the advice Mark, took a bit of adjusting but much better than indoors, colours and reflections are much crisper!)

Cheers, PHIL

1_Amboyna_FP_-_Rh2.jpg

1_Amboyna_FP_-_Rh.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Very nice piece of Amboyna turned into an elegant pen -- very sweet!

You got some great figure in that blank, but your turning and finish really bring it out.

-Barry

mcomeau

Amboyna is my most favorite wood to turn! I also like the smell. I am very fond of sapwood/amboyna combo. Adds a lot of character, not that amboyna doesn't have enough on its own.

Great job!!

Matt

pensmyth

I love Amboyna Burl especially the two tone with the sap wood. I've had really good luck using CA as my finish too. Really makes the detail pop. Awesome job on the pen!
Andy

mrburls

Stunning pen Phil. Amboyna burl is among my favorite burls also. You sure did a fine job on the finish and fantastic photos.

Keith "mrburls"

philb

Cheers guys,

Was going to sell this one, but the more I look at it in the display its getting more of a keeper! Thing is Im getting more keepers than sellers!

PHIL

philb

Well looks like it wont be a keeper after all, as I just sold it!

Only been in the window a day! Gonna have to do some more of this Amboyna!

Thanks for the comments! PHIL

Wow, great looking pen. Your fit and finish is great.

Like Mark, your pictures are superb. I was wondering if you could explain how you are getting such a great picture. I had problems with shadows and a few other issues last time I tried. Also, what are you using for your background? It looks awesome!

Awesome pen and awesome picture. Well done!

mdburn_em

Phil,

Very Nice pen. Finish looks wonderful and photography looks good as well.

Side note. I seem to recall seeing your name associated with CA questions. You certainly worked it out. Congratulations.

philb

Phil,

Very Nice pen. Finish looks wonderful and photography looks good as well.

Side note. I seem to recall seeing your name associated with CA questions. You certainly worked it out. Congratulations.

HI,

Yeh had a few issues to start with! Mainly due to bushings sticking and bad application! Going ok at the moment though, actually much better since I cut out the BLO!
Cheers,
PHIL

VisExp

Phil, the pen looks beautiful and congrats on the sale. It seems you can't go wrong with amboyna, it's a beautiful looking wood and a real pleasure to work with.

Top Bottom