Amboyna burl Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The original pen blank was a total mess up. Somehow on turning it, I picked up an out of round bushing that I thought I had thrown away. One end of the Amboyna was cut through to the glue. I put it aside for a few months and then today decided to try a segment with brass rings. Turned out more beautiful than even the picture shows, IMHO! ;)

The Black is Japanese persimmon.

tn_Best%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

That was a beautiful piece of amboyna, well worth the effort to rescue. You've done much more than just "rescue" a chunk of wood, however!

-Barry

rhahnfl

Nice save... bet you really are glad you put it down for awhile instead of tossing it. I'll have to file that away for future reference as I know I'll screw up my fair share also!! Very nice combination of color, metal and wood!!!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Darley
<br />Very nice Lee, you done a good rescue work, black persimmon ? never heard about it brass ring give a good contrast between the wood

Darley,

Black persimmon is called Kokutan here in Japan, litterally means black (ebony) wood. Persimmons are a very popular fruit here and there are many varities. The kokutan is a VERY expensive wood. 1 in X 10 in X 6 to 7 ft usually runs the equivilent of several hundred US dollars, IF you can find it. Most of it is a medium dark brown, but some good quality will have lots of black.

Another note: A friend in the Philipines sent the amboyna burl to me along with some other blanks. He labled that one "Amboyna", but the deep reddish orange color reminds me of a Paduck burl. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the comments everyone! I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom