Amboyna Burl and a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodale

woodale

Here is a Robusto in Amboyna Burl. It was an odd shaped scrap from the edge of what looked like a large burl. I couldn't get anything long enough going "with" the grain so this is cross grain. The black ring is Ebony.
My question: I am donating this to the PTA for a charity auction, they want a retail value. I don't sell much and don't want to under value it because there will be potential customers seeing it, but don't want to go overboard and scare them away. I have seen pens that I would consider similar selling at art shows locally ranging from $150-$250.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN0870Amboyna.jpg
    DSCN0870Amboyna.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN0871Amboyna.jpg
    DSCN0871Amboyna.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It's worth a lot more in Evanston, than in Palatine.

Sorry, but this WILL make a difference. PM me, if you like.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Another observation, since this comes up, from time to time:

I BELIEVE the tax law says you can take anything over the stated value as a charitable donation. On that basis, I would probably state the "donation" value as the "cost of my materials alone, all talent and labor is donated by the artist". Then, call it $50ish.

What think the accountants and other TAX people???

GoodTurns

Technically, I am an accountant...not a tax accountant, but fairly experienced. I list my donations of this type at COST OF MATERIALS ONLY. anything else is a red flag. FWIW.

chiptheshrink

I think there might be some confusion over the purpose of the "appraisal". When I donate something to a charity raffle, etc., for tax purposes, I only deduct the cost of materials. But I think what is being asked here is how to help the PTA value the piece for a suggested auction bid, as they probably have no idea what the retail value might be. If that is the case, you (and they) have nothing to lose by pricing "retail value" a bit high, it's not binding on anyone, and is just a suggestion to buyers. This is very commonly done at art fairs, which often have a silent auction of items donated by the artists.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Donor vs bidder

I think there might be some confusion over the purpose of the "appraisal". When I donate something to a charity raffle, etc., for tax purposes, I only deduct the cost of materials. But I think what is being asked here is how to help the PTA value the piece for a suggested auction bid, as they probably have no idea what the retail value might be. If that is the case, you (and they) have nothing to lose by pricing "retail value" a bit high, it's not binding on anyone, and is just a suggestion to buyers. This is very commonly done at art fairs, which often have a silent auction of items donated by the artists.

My post is taking this from the other perspective.

IF I am a BIDDER at the event, and I bid $200, for a product with a donor value of $50, the additional $150 is tax deductible as a charitable donation, I believe. So, as the donor, I am inclined to minimize the value to improve the chances of people bidding higher, realizing that the government is subsidizing their bid. (30% tax bracket??)

Hope this is clearer.

woodale

My post is taking this from the other perspective.

IF I am a BIDDER at the event, and I bid $200, for a product with a donor value of $50, the additional $150 is tax deductible as a charitable donation, I believe. So, as the donor, I am inclined to minimize the value to improve the chances of people bidding higher, realizing that the government is subsidizing their bid. (30% tax bracket??)

Hope this is clearer.
Ahh, now I understand! Still time to tweak the write-up for the auction. I decided to give them a couple other pens as well. Auction is Sunday morning, I'll post an update after. Unless the results are too embarassing!

Top Bottom