Aluminum Tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hello all,

A few of you asked for a bit of an aluminum turning tutorial. I had a chance today to make a new aluminum cigar, and thought I would take some photos along the way. Here is a down and dirty tutorial:

This is a photo of the tool that I made for the job. a Standard HSS scraper of skew would work just fine. However, it should be noted that the amount of heat aluminum gives off when turned is quite high. The extra heat can change the tempering of even the best HSS tools, making them unable to hold an edge. I would highly recommend getting a HSS heavy guage scraper from a place like HF for about 10 bucks and making a handle for it like I have. The extra weight from the scraper makes the turning much easier (Less vibration, more control).
alumi01.jpg

My homemade scraper next to my Crown HSS scraper.
alumi02.jpg

My homemade scraper next to my Crown HSS scraper.
alumi03.jpg

I have precut and drilled a bunch of cigar blanks. I use t6061 5/8" aluminum rod. I find it easier to take a ride out to my old man's place to use his steel lathe for the drilling and surfacing of the edges. It can be cut with a simple hack saw, or band saw, drilled on a press, with a little patience, and sanded flat on a bench grider, or disc sander. The blanks are drilled with a 23/64" bit, allowing the fittings to be pressed directly into the aluminum barrels wihtout tubes.
alumi04.jpg

This photo shows the blanks mounted on the madrel and ready to turn. Note the small amount of material near the largest of the bushings. This is nice so you don't have to spend all day taking a 3/4" rod down to the correct inner bushing size.
alumi05.jpg

Let's get crackin! I wear gloves (Normally a no no for me) due to the amount of heat that the shavings toss at me. Also, the filings are quite sharp. The higher speed the better with aluminum. My Jet Mini tops out at just over 3900 rpm if I recall. That is where I turn it.
alumi07.jpg

Once the first barrel is to shape, I move to the second. This photo demonstartes how sharp and well the homemade scraper cuts. With a little more pressure, see the ribbons:
alumi08.jpg

A closeup of the ribbons:
alumi09.jpg

Now that both barrles have been turned to size, you can take a look at this closeup. You can see that the barrels are not real smooth. This is becaue, I don't take the time to smooth them with the chisel. They are much easier to sand smooth with some 240 grit sandpaper. Also note the bushings. They get torn up when you get near them with the heavier scraper. I use this set only for my aluminum cigars. I usually mic my ends anyway.
alumi10.jpg

alumi11.jpg

I sand with two grits only. 240 and then 400. It takes only about 1 minute of sanding with both grits to knock the bumps out. Then I use a piece of 3200 MM for the final sand. If I was going to leave this pen with a brushed finish, this is where I would stop:
alumi12.jpg

But this pen is going to be polished. I use simple soft metal polish that I get from Lowe's. 1 wheel gets "Light Polishing" compound, and the other gets, "High Polishing" compound:
alumi13.jpg

I apply these to my homemade wheels. Note: Don't forget to reduce the speed of your lathe back down for the buffing. 3900+ rpm is too wild for me:
alumi14.jpg

Polish away.
alumi15.jpg

Only takes a short time to get it looking like this:
alumi16.jpg

And here is the final product with the chrome cigar kit. This is the hardest pen for me to photograph. It is hard to tell, but it is the same polish as the chrome kit:
alumipen2.jpg

I hope that this gives someone the push to try out some aluminum. It really is not as drastic as it seems. It shoudl be noted, that I always wear eye protection, and a respirator. It is especially important when turning aluminun, as the dust is very fine, becomes airborn very easily, and is not good for the lungs. Always turn safely.

Cheers,

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Fantastic James.. thanks a lot... been thinking of doing an aluminum pen.. just need to get the materials..
Have you by any chance tried one in brass yet...

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Fantastic James.. thanks a lot... been thinking of doing an aluminum pen.. just need to get the materials..
Have you by any chance tried one in brass yet...

Tom,

Thanks for the kind words, and you're welcome.
I haven't tried any brass but I would like to. I wonder where I can get some of that around here. I bought some of those little bullet twist style pens from PSI. I don't really like them after making a couple. I think I am going to come up with some aluminum blanks for the kits I have left to see what I can do with them. Brass would be great too!

Cheers,

James

Ligget

Absolutely beautiful James, that sure is an amazing post thanks for sharing it![:p]
Definately requires put into "Articles" section for retrevial later.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
James... I was about to jump all over you... but I apologize... I just need to get my eyes reexamined.. [:p]
I read "Thanks simplepens" as "Thanks simpletons" ....
Man I just have to stop getting up so early on Saturdays.. either that or drink more coffee...

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />James... I was about to jump all over you... but I apologize... I just need to get my eyes reexamined.. [:p]
I read "Thanks simplepens" as "Thanks simpletons" ....
Man I just have to stop getting up so early on Saturdays.. either that or drink more coffee...

LOL [:D]. That is too funny. I wouldn't dare!

Cheers,

James

Fangar

Originally posted by ligget
<br />Absolutely beautiful James, that sure is an amazing post thanks for sharing it![:p]
Definately requires put into "Articles" section for retrevial later.

You're welcome. Thank you.

James

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Not sure I would try one for different reasons, but I have had the opportunity to work with aluminum sheet stock.
How long does the shime last before oxidation sets in?
My brass pens get a coat of REN wax and that helps, wondering about the aluminum.

JimGo

James, thanks for all the time and effort! This is really cool. Making it more tempting to try aluminum at some point!

Fangar

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Not sure I would try one for different reasons, but I have had the opportunity to work with aluminum sheet stock.
How long does the shime last before oxidation sets in?
My brass pens get a coat of REN wax and that helps, wondering about the aluminum.

Eagle,

Hey there. I am sure that you wouldn't have any issues with it all, seeing some of your work! I have not seen any signs of it yet on the pen that I have been carrying about (About 3 weeks). I am getting ready to get some Ren wax and other items shortly. That sounds like it might help. I might try a clear coat thing as well if the issue arises. The polished shows prints very easily. It also scratches somewhat easily, but buffs out with a soft cloth as well. The brushed is definately more durable. a piece of 3600 MM takes any scratches out right back to the brushed look. I will keep you posted.

James

Fangar

Thanks to everyone for the kinds words. I would be grateful to have the tutorial posted to PDF on this site if anyone is interested. Scott (Mudder) took the time to convert the post to PDF already.

Cheers,

Fangar

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thanks for the reply on the finish/polish question.
FWIW
Soon after I registered on the IAP(July 04) there were a few threads concerning aluminum pens( actually in the search function I found threads going back to april 04), a few of the members here made aluminum pens and pictures were posted.
I just looked in the search function/archive threads and there are a couple of threads concerning aluminum pens.
There was also mention that an article on making them had been published in woodturning and design.
(Have I ever mentioned the search function is one of the best I have ever used? accolades to Jeff!)
Hut and PSI were mentioned as suppliers of aluminum blanks/components.
My point in this post is, prior to your mentioning and showing your aluminum pen, the subject seemed to fall by the wayside.
In my earlier post I mentioned that I didn't know if I would turn one.
My reason for indecision is, if I did make one, how would my aluminum pen be distinguished from a commercially made one?
Even WalMart sells shiny metal pens .
It is not a question of not being able to make it, but would I want one?I don't know. The casing pens I make now have a "cold" feeling and I imagine in the summer they will at times have a "hot" feeling.
Then the issue of scratches arises.Yes, you and I could polish or buff out a scratch and restore an aluminum pen to a high luster but what about a customer?
As I said earlier aluminum pens created quite a stir a while ago but I don't see many being made.
Yours is certainly a great looking pen but practicality & maintenance for a customer might be a consideration and why these kits are not offered from major distributors.
Before anyone starts a flame under my butt, the fact that it has already been done and an article written does not diminish the fact that you made the one you did from scratch.
One of the biggest problems I have is coming up with ideas for making something that even though may have been done,it new for me.
Not to see how it was done but to push myself to think creatively.For me, it's new if I haven't seen it.
Thanks for showing a great pen and I appreciate the time, thought and craftsmanship that went into your creation.

Nice Pen![:D]

btboone

It is indeed an issue Eagle. Even the titanium ones, which are Rockwell C 35 hardness get scratched. This is probably about twice as hard as the aluminum. The things that scratch it are minerals like those found in dust and wood, and harder metals (rings, paper clips, etc.) One option is to offer lifetime refinishing if you can. Another is for the customer to use a polishing cloth. The ones like Shino brand have red rouge in the inner cloth and can put a high shine on almost all metals. I used to use one on a nickel silver trumpet. The oxidation over the long haul will be an issue as well. As long as they're kept waxed or polished they will be OK. The worst thing is if the person has acidic sweat or oxidizing chemicals on their fingers. It will oxidize within a week in that case. I've had a ring customer that was able to turn his copper/silver mokume (random mixed pattern) inlay in a titanium ring completely black just due to his harsh body chemistry. He would definitely be one to oxidize the aluminum pen as well. Also, contact of the aluminum pen with other metals or minerals such as copper, steel, and calcium in concrete will cause a galvanic reaction and cause pitting and oxidation. The brass tubes inside the pens are due to make a big galvanic reaction unless the two metals are separated with glue.

Brushed is a good option in that the customer can use a ScotchBrite pad to keep it as-new looking, but contact with the raw aluminum will have the same oxidizing issues over the long haul. Some remedies are anodizing and electroplating, which are permenant, but take away slightly from a perfect mirror finish and give that "Wal-Mart pen" look that we are trying to avoid.

Fred in NC

In my uncalled for and daringly modest opinion:

The aluminum pen is beautiful.

To raise a pen from the WalMart category to a collector rating additional design elements and or processes need to be added that are not usually found in commercial pens.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />Thanks to everyone for the kinds words. I would be grateful to have the tutorial posted to PDF on this site if anyone is interested. Scott (Mudder) took the time to convert the post to PDF already.

Cheers,

Fangar

Indeed it has been done. I waited for the author to give his okay before it was made public. The pdf can be found HERE

I'm also sending a link to Jeff in hopes that he can find a spot for it on the site.

Fangar

eagle,

Thanks for your views. I can see where you are coming from and appreciate your opinion. I agree with most of what you say, which is why I am not interested in making something like an aluminum slim line. Cross for example sells a nice set for about 30-40 bucks, in stainless which is much stronger.

However, I have not seen many of the aluminum cigar pens running around. They are becomming very popular for me and I am getting a lot of interest. I am not really in the market to sell them as of yet, as I am reseacrhing coatings, finishes, etc to make them a bit more durable. But personally, I like the fact that they are not offered by commercial distributers.

It might be something as easy as buying an extra couple of 3600 MM sheets and cutting them into small sqaures as a maintenance item that comes with the pen. The brushed finish comes right back with only a light touch of that MM, if any scratches emerge. I think ultimately, that a coating (clear powdercoat) or similar will be the ticket. But I will see.

Finally, I don't offer this post, or any of my pens for that matter, as industry standard, or anything new in innovation either. I offer them simply as what I am working on at the time, intending to spark an interest in others, that they have so many times sparked for me with, through their creative works.

Your style of comments and inquisitive nature is what many of us come to this forum for. You are obviously well versed in creative techniques, and attempt new materials and offer advice based on your experiences. This type of creative difference and communication is what makes a forum a place to learn. If everyone remianed mute with their opinions, than this forum would not be a place growth of one's skills.

Cheers,

Thanks again!

James

btboone

I think you did a great job James. I agree that the large and well made aluminum pens will have their niche market. I also think that high end customers may be disappointed with the polished finish when it starts to scratch because similar stuff they are used to like stainless doesn't scratch as much. I too would like to find something that does address the durability issue before I offer them in polished. Please keep us informed on any insights you gain with your research.[:)]

Fangar

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />

---SNIP IN ---
...I think ultimately, <b>that a coating (clear powdercoat)</b> or similar will be the ticket. But I will see....
---SNIP OUT ---
(a few posts up)
You shouldn't have blinked!

[:D]

Cheers,

Fangar

rtparso

James,
Thanks for the tutorial and great pen. There is a quote that says “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens anotherâ€. Even if I did not want to make an aluminum pen I can always learn when someone shares their thoughts and techniques. That is unless you already know everything. BTW I am thinking of making a pen out of stainless steel tubing for some friends that work with it all of the time.

btboone

Ron, will you have to machine the stainless to shape or use the tubing OD as it comes? It would be a lot more tricky on a hand lathe than aluminum but could actually be done with the right cutters.

Fangar

Originally posted by rtparso
<br />James,
Thanks for the tutorial and great pen. There is a quote that says “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens anotherâ€. Even if I did not want to make an aluminum pen I can always learn when someone shares their thoughts and techniques. That is unless you already know everything. BTW I am thinking of making a pen out of stainless steel tubing for some friends that work with it all of the time.

Great! We will wait to check it out. I would say that any turning of the stainless will have to be done on a little different setup, especially for safety reasons. Thanks also for the kind words.

James

rtparso

I am hoping to find a piece that is ~.25â€id and &gt;.3â€od and just taper the end. In this case I want to leave as much of the tube markings as possible. BTW I live 70 miles from Roswell NM. Aliens and all that.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to James for a great article and to Mudder (Scott) for turning it into a PDF. It's now on the front page.

btboone

Ron, here's a source for some stainless tubing: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/gptx-mgptx-gpsx.cfm
The 5/16" OD should work.

rtparso

Thanks when I get a chance I am going to check my Swagelok distributor. Since I have probably spent lots of bucks with them in the past I will try to get a sample.[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom