A pair of slims . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cozee

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Cleaning out the slimline kits an done a pair for some friends. The blanks were made for slims and bought off Ebay. Black Palm and Maple make up the outer bands on the darker one. I have forgotten what the center section is. The lighter one is figured Maple and Walnut with 1 coat of BLO. Chrome and gold kits. CA finishes.

2007331234535_2segslim.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Greg,
You have to stop this now. Your making the rest of us look bad [}:)] [;)]
Those are really sharp. Very sophisticated looking.
Gary

Sorry!!! If it makes ya feel any better, prior to turning these today, I did total out 1/2 of another segmented set! And I had a 50 cal. casing project erupt like a volcano with GG. [:D]

jttheclockman

Question: How do you glue up a blank like them where the accent bands are same thickness.?? I am sure you had to use the barrel trimmer to true up the ends. Did you allow for this with a different thickness on the ends???

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Clockman,

Make a table-saw sled and use a stop block. If your table-saw is true then your blank cuts will be true and the barrel trimmer is not needed.

GK

cozee

Originally posted by jttheclockman
<br />Question: How do you glue up a blank like them where the accent bands are same thickness.?? I am sure you had to use the barrel trimmer to true up the ends. Did you allow for this with a different thickness on the ends???

I didn't construct these, they came off of ebay. However, as for making sure of the proper thicknesses, all one needs to do is start with the overall length of what one needs for a particular tube then begin doing the math to determine the measurements for each segment you want in the design. I'd cut them lets say 1" for ease of calculating, by 6 3/4". Now you have a 1" x 6 3/4" x the thickness you've determined. Once you've stacked and glued your strips together, this will yield 6 blanks when figuring in a blade width of 1/8" (1/8" x 6 = 3/4").

As mentioned, make a sled for your table saw, or what ever type of saw you may have. Use a finishing blade and you will not need to sand for fitment. Be sure to clamp tightly after glue up.

GaryMGg

I think JT's question is more along the lines of: IF we're gonna have to use an end mill to square the barrel, how do you deal with that AND get identical thickness segments on each barrel end?
I haven't done that, but I'd say you can allow an extra 64th or 32nd and mill it off. Use a caliper to bring them all to the same size.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom