A Couple More Bowls From A Board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Finished these two off today.

I had the ringmaster set to 1/4" thick rings for the cherry and yellowheart one just to try it because I normally have it set at 5/16" rings .
I am not really into seeing h ow thin and light I can make a bowl but it went equally well at both settings.
The poplar and walnut one is 11" x 6" and the cherry and yellowheart is 9" x 5"

PoplarandCherry.jpg

I was rather pleased to find that the lowly and inexpensive poplar wood can create some interesting swirl effects in the pattern when it is staggered a little with a contrasting strip between rings.
I tried a closeup picture of what I am referring to but could not capture it half as nice as it looks in the hand.

Poplarcloseup.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Lar

Those are great bowls. I use a lot of cottonwood in pens and bowls and really like the results. I think they are close to the same family as the poplar.

Last edited:

SDB777

The contrasting colors really 'brighten' these bowls up!

Where did you get your ringmaster from? And would you be able to make these fine bowls without it?

Scott (I need some brightening today) B

W.Y.

The contrasting colors really 'brighten' these bowls up!

Where did you get your ringmaster from? And would you be able to make these fine bowls without it?

Scott (I need some brightening today) B

The ebay seller is also the person that manufactures them in USA

ringmaster lathe | eBay

Yes , I have made many bowls from a board cutting rings with a scroll saw It takes ten times as long and requires loads of sanding .
They can also be made on a band saw by cutting the board in half and cutting out the rings and glueing it all back together. Only did that a couple times. Way too time consuming.

The Ringmaster makes it a fun job with almost perfect alignment of the stacked rings. Sometimes the sanding after gluing can be started at 120 grit and progressed to 400 . A plain wood bowl can be made in about an hour.

clapiana

beautiful bowls. funny I just purchased a used ringmaster and I am looking forward to its arrival. I think I will need to build a jig to raise it a little bit in that its made for a delta mini and I have a powermatic. I also need to find the original instructions. thanks for posting

W.Y.

beautiful bowls. funny I just purchased a used ringmaster and I am looking forward to its arrival. I think I will need to build a jig to raise it a little bit in that its made for a delta mini and I have a powermatic. I also need to find the original instructions. thanks for posting

You can find instructions for every model here. The instructions are basically the same for all models.

Woodworking

I wish you luck with modifying the Delta model to the Powermatic.

The alignment is crucial to the accuracy of the way it will work.

Top Bottom