50 Caliber Tooth Pick Holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

Turned using Birdseye Maple.
Sanded to 400x, buffed with super fine steel wool and applied 6 coats of MINWAX Oil Modified Water Based Polyurethane.

Got to like this stuff as it dries hard within 1-2 hours compared to the Oil Based with takes 4 hours to dry hard.
Also the Water Based dose not jell in the can after a time exposed to air like the Oil Based.

Les

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Really great idea and the execution of the design looks flawless! I bet you could sell these along with the 50 cal pens as a set and make a killing.

SDB777

Cool idea, but where did all the 'eyes' in the "Birdseye Maple" go?

Finish is top notch too.....

Scott (it's just Maple now?) B

dexter0606

Neat idea Les
I saw someone on another forum using a similar idea for a pen, rather than using brass cartridges.
Neat

Last edited:

W.Y.

Awesome work as usual Les.

Thanks for all the info on another site about that new finish you are using.

PTsideshow

It was great looking, I mentioned it in a home shop forum in a discussion on the 50 cal pen kits. And a member from down under said that a Les from Red Deer, had posted them on a wood working forum there. So it probably is a little late in the game for the proprietary/copyright thing. As they are very well known on the net Or it could be the bandwidth on his bucket account is maxed out this month!

The guy form Aus said that he had made one for a co worker, who forgot and had it in his pocket when going thru the UAE airport(Untied Arab Emirates). He had to spend the night in a cell till they sorted it out.

:clown:

Snowbeast

Not sure if I'm supposed to do this or not but here's the pic I saved in my "I wanna try that someday" file.

Attachments

• 50 cal toothpick holder.jpg
    50 cal toothpick holder.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 410

GaryMGg

Les,
Can you provide the general dimensions for the toothpick holder.
I'd like to copy your idea for a gift to my future son-in-law IF you don't mind.

Also, I found Paul Sherman's 50 Cal. tutorial for pens; I can probably pull dimensions from there and the 'net.

Thank you
Gary

Last edited:
Top Bottom