2mm Woodworkers Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Old model Rockler Woodworkers Pencil in Walnut by request. I've sold three of these now, all to graphics artists and I wasn't trying to. I had my prototype in my pen binder when I was showing them some pens and they spied it. One bought my prototype on the spot, in spite of my insistance that it wasn't for sale. The other two wanted theirs in Walnut. They also wanted slight differences. You will see them in the photo. I'm not as happy with them as I'd like to be... have I mentioned that I'm a perfectionist?... but they look better than the prototype. ;)

20051054264_2mm_pencil_walnut.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and feel free to speak your mind.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Billy, I really don't like all the splicing and dicing, but who cares, they are SOLD ! [:)]
I noticed the ones I made and had requests for, were from the graphic art folks as well. Something about the 2mm lead they like. There is also a claw version of the 2mm lead pencil. I haven't made one, but Chuckie has. Nice sell.

alamocdc

I'm with you, Anthony, I don't like it either. I almost turned them off the tubes and started over. I have a plan for the next ones though. [:D] Lessons learned!!! The hard way! [B)]

Murphy

Hi, I have seen these kits and really liked them. Do you have to get a new pen mandrel to turn these or is there another way? As you all know, this gets reeeeeeally expensive.

alamocdc

Thanks again, all. These were not kits, but actual Woodworkers Pencils sold ready to go. These are last years models. The new one is just a tad shorter and a little fatter. I thought this one was too thin anyway and liked the challenge of trying to modify it after I saw Don, Anthony, or one of our other really talented members do one (sorry guys, I just can't remember who it was at the moment). Rockler has been clearing them out at $2.97 each. A few of us bought a number of these this summer. I ordered the last 4 from the Mesquite, TX store in June and bought the last 5 from the Cincinatti store last month. To answer the mandrel question, I use my 7mm mandrel. I also use the stock tube (seems to be 8mm) and sand the paint off on my bench sander. If you keep the knurled fitting in the tube you will need to use a blind mandrel technique that Russ talks about, or have a step mandrel made. I use the smallest of my Olympia and 8mm PSI Designer bushings if I'm not covering the knurled portion, but I really don't like it exposed. I think it's too thin and the transition from the wood to the knurled grip is too awkward. Not to mention the fact that the wood gets so thin it either wants to blow up, or it shows the tube in spots. I've turned more than one blank down to the tube and started over. [V] In fact, I did with both of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom