29 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Welcome to the 29th day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>.
All entries "postmarked" before noon tomorrow will be placed in a hat and two winners selected for every contest. Winners will be the first two entries selected that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question.
The winners will be announced by 10 P.M. ET tomorrow and the decision of the TRIVIA MEISTER will be final.
Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

The Question for Day 29:
"The Trivia Meister is on the mound .... he reaches behind his back with the ball .... he grips it with his middle finger and index finger ... he delivers ... and ..... it's a knuckleball!"

"?cancer ovarian fighting in useful is that agent anti-tumor powerful a contains wood Northwest Pacific What"

Note: This isn't your father's trivia question. You could hold your monitor up to a mirror ... but that wouldn't work. What about standing on your head as you read it? Naw, I don't think so. Maybe a Red Ryder Secret Decoder Ring?

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include more than one possible alternative answer are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

Good luck!!

Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org

You MUST show the date and name of the contest in the title block of the email i.e., 29 Jan Trivia. Your screen name must be included with your answer to be a valid entry!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I like these early morning trivia questions.

Obviously, we saved the best Trivia Meister for last. :D

Thanks Doc!

Okay: Does that gain me any bonus points? I am 26:1 with correct answers through the first 27 days, with no wins. :( Come on, Doc, how about a sympathy draw. [:eek:)]

Ooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!! That's smooth, Doc. You're baitin' 'em again, those whose temperaments are the kind that like to spot flaws in the Trivia Meister's wordplay. I see what you did. You laced your prelude with a couple (or more) hidden doozies. Makes me want to feel generous.

<center>LISTEN UP</center>

<center>Contest within a Contest</center>

Spot the errors in today's trivia question and send them in an email to:

<center>hancock1@comcast.net</center>

by 12:00 Noon Wednesday, January 30, 2008. Please put "IAP Trivia Contest" in the subject line. DO NOT</u> send your entry to the Trivia Meister!

The eligible errors will be found in the quoted matter below:

The Question for Day 29:
"The TriviaMesiter is on the mound .... he reaches behind his back with the ball .... he grips it with his middle finger and index finger ... he delivers ... and ..... it's a knuckleball!"

"?cancer ovarian fighting in useful is that agent tumor-anti powerful a contains wood Northwest Pacific What"

Note: This isn't your father's trivia question. You could hold your monitor up to a mirror ... but that wouldn't work. What about standing on your head as you read it? Naw, I don't think so. Maybe a Red Ryder Secret Decoder Ring?
Whomever spots the most errors as determined by Proud_Poppa_of_2 in his sole discretion will receive not one, not five, not 10 or even 20, but 80 rare-earth magnets. Ties will be broken by random drawing.

DocStram

Okay, you guys ... have your fun whuppin' up on the Trivia Meister.

EIGHTY RARE EARTH MAGNETS??? I'm hyperventilating! Oh, the humanity!! Michael knows about my addiction to those things. Talk about breaking a guy down. This is worse than waterboarding. [}:)]:D

I have received six entries and none of them has included the two things that leapt out at me.

Also, multiple entries are permitted although I will count your latest entry only. Put "IAP Trivia Contest" in the subject line for each of your entries as the date stamp will tell me which version to count.

DocStram

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

I have received six entries and none of them has included the two things that leapt out at me.

Also, multiple entries are permitted although I will count your latest entry only. Put "IAP Trivia Contest" in the subject line for each of your entries as the date stamp will tell me which version to count.

Hmmmmm isn't it "leapted"? ;);)

(I'm kidding)

DocStram

By the way, all of those responding to Michael's email will be disqualified from the remaining Trivia Contests. Oh? You've won already? Well then ... RETURN your prize!!! Arghhhh!! ;):D:D

bruce119

Ahhh I belong in the losers club anyway. I never win anything boo hoo. [V]

I'm getting a dizzy headache reading that thing over and over. [xx(]

We're talking just the question here or the prelude and closing statement too. [?]

Hmmmmm I'll study it some more. [B)]

How much N.I.P does it take to fill a truck ;)

:D:D:D

Originally posted by bruce119

I'm getting a dizzy headache reading that thing over and over. [xx(]

We're talking just the question here or the prelude and closing statement too. [?]

Good point, Bruce. I edited my original post to clarify.

DocStram

Originally posted by DocStram

Hmmmmm isn't it "leapted"? ;);)

(I'm kidding)

That's SIX people plus the INSTIGATOR who are banned from future trivia contests. This isn't a pretty picture. [}:)];)

Originally posted by DocStram

That's SIX people plus the INSTIGATOR who are banned from future trivia contests.

Doc, by "instigator," are you referring to the person out at whom the two things in your trivia question "leapted"?

(QUERY: Doesn't stiltedness result from avoiding placement of the preposition at the end of the above sentence?)

(ANOTHER QUERY: How could there be light on the first day of Creation if the sun was not created until the fourth day?")

(YET ANOTHER QUERY: Why doesn't Cracker Barrel put more sausage in its sausage gravy?)

bruce119

<center>LISTEN UP</center>

<center>Contest within a Contest</center>

Spot the errors in today's trivia question and send them in an email to:

<center>hancock1@comcast.net</center>

Boy I mite have a chance at this. I almost wrote a book on all the stuff I found. [}:)] [:0]

Nah judgst kiding..............."It ant that bad".!? [:eek:)] ;)

Keep up the good work this is fun. But I'm spending to much time on the computer.

:D :D :D

You guys have not been taking full advantage of the opportunity that has been presented by the sub-contest. Whereas the TriviaMesiter (heh, heh) will not accept laundry list answers, I WILL and I ENCOURAGE THEM. Just think of the possibilities and how this enhances your chance of winning!

For instance, suppose Michael Buble's latest album, "Let It Snow," contained a lyric that just happened to point out an error in the Day 29 trivia question. Wouldn't you be kicking yourself for not having sent Proud_Poppa_of_2 a digital copy of that album? (Only properly licensed copies, please.) Better yet, seasons one through six of "The Sopranos" surely suggest numerous mistakes in the trivia question. Think of these as laundry list answers. You don't even have to listen to Michael Buble's album or watch "The Sopranos." Just ship them my way and I'll do all the hard work.

No need for everybody to send me the same laundry list. Then, everybody has the same answer and we end up putting everybody's name in a hat and it just ends up being a lottery. So, get creative. For instance, one of you could submit the complete leatherbound works of William Shakespeare. Another of you might choose to enter a year's subscription in my name to several recognized woodworking magazines. Better still, just think how your chances of winning would improve if I had access to DirectTV in every room of my house, what with all of its channels and the information that pours over them.

Keep your eye on the prize, folks. We're talking about 80 rare-earth magnets. You don't want to submit anything less than your best effort here. By the way, Da Vinci hid a lot of secret writings in his paintings. You won't find them in the copies. They're only in the originals. If you plan to submit an original Da Vinci and need more time, the deadline can be extended. Just ask. And, don't forget to insure it.

DocStram

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: What Northwest Pacific wood contains a powerful anti-tumor agent that is useful in fighting ovarian cancer?

The correct answers: Any one of the following was acceptable:
Pacific Northwest Yew
Pacific Yew
Yew
Taxus brevofilia
Rhamnus purshiana

Note: There were 74 responses for this question with 73 being correct.

The winners of the day 29 contest are:

alamocdc

and

Malainse

And the prizes are:

Prize One - Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer Craft Supplies

Prize Two - Pen Blanks from Texatdurango

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won. (Example: Jan 29 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.
4. Phone number.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

great12b4ever

Okay Michael, its officially after 12:00 noon on the 30th of January. So where is your list of the errors our illustrious DocStram made, and who is the winner of the rare earth magnets? [8D]

Originally posted by great12b4ever

Okay Michael, its officially after 12:00 noon on the 30th of January. So where is your list of the errors our illustrious DocStram made, and who is the winner of the rare earth magnets? [8D]

Rob -

I had to ask Doc a question about one of the so-called errors. I'm waiting for his clarification, and then I'll apply that to the affected entries. Then, of course, we have to wait for Hugo's uninsured Da Vinci to show up. So, it should be soon.

Originally posted by bruce119
[br
Soo your getting Doc to admit he made a mistake or had some so-called errors??!! [:0] [:0] [:0]

Actually, Doc entered the contest, too, but I had to disqualify him on conflict-of-interest grounds. His list was longer than everyone else's. The question I have for him goes to his intent behind something he said.

Malainse

Doc....?????????? Are you sure ???????? The RNG must have liked the flags !

Now I am 1 for 90'ish in the trivia....:D;)

Thanx all.....

Email sent to Andrew for the blanks from Tex.

I have all of the information I need to determine the winner of the “Contest within a Contest.†It would have been kinder had I stated this at the outset, but the “errors†I was looking for had nothing to do with grammar, punctuation, style or word usage. My recent post in the Casual Conversation forum (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32950) gives my opinion on that topic. It is not my intent to reopen that debate. It merely is to explain why I did not credit identification of these issues.

Now, onto the important stuff. The two “errors†that prompted the contest were (1) the knuckleball grip and (2) the Red Ryder Decoder Ring. First, a knuckleball cannot be thrown as described and I credited any entry that essentially stated as much. My immediate reaction upon reading the trivia question was that a knuckleball grip involves the knuckles of the index, middle and ring fingers plus the thumb. Research indicates there are several variations of the knuckleball. However, the grip described (assuming the thumb also were used) a slider, or slurve or even a split-fingered fastball, depending on other unstated pitch characteristics.

With regard to the Red Ryder Decoder Ring, my reaction was that Doc had mixed up Red Ryder’s significance with that of Little Orphan Annie’s in “The Christmas Story,†as it was the latter to whom the decoder ring was attributed. Again, research proved me somewhat wrong. There was no decoder “ring,†per se, in “The Christmas Story.†Rather, it was merely a decoder device of some sort. And, it turns out Red Ryder, another radio character from bygone days, in fact had his own decoder device, although it was not a ring.

Several contestants brought a third error to my attention for which I gave credit. “TriviaMeister†was spelled “TriviaMesiter†in one instance. I doubt Doc intended to spell it that way, so I counted it as an error. In all, then, there were three errors: (1) the description of the knuckleball grip, (2) the Red Ryder Decoder “Ring†and (3) the spelling of “TriviaMeister.â€

There were 18 entries. Fiferb (Bruce Fifer) and Ronschmitt (Ron Schmitt) were the only two to spot each of the three errors. You’ll note the former is a TriviaMeister himself. When I stuck those names in a hat to see which would be the recipient of the 80 rare-earth magnets, I must have had some CA glue on my fingers because both names came out, so each will receive the prize. Let’s hear it for the boys!!!

One entry warrants a special mention, simply because it made me smile. I don’t smile much. You’ll recall that Doc stated, “This is not your father’s trivia question.†Draken (James Gillespie) entered, “I am DocStram’s illegitimate child, so this IS my father’s trivia question.†Forty rare-earth magnets to you, too, Draken. Thanks for making me smile. First time since Tuesday, 1983, I think.

Draken

Thank you very much for the smile prize, Michael, glad I could brighten your day. I had fun with both contests, and hopefully I'm not on DocStram's "no more winning for you" list, after all, I am the son he never knew. [:eek:)]

DocStram

Three of my closest friends have turned on me. Draken? Draken ..... of all people!

And Ron? Ron Schmitt? Could this be the same Ron Schmitt with whom I exchanged pens? The Ron Schmitt with whom I spent countless hours on the telephone .. offering encouragement to try his first ca finish?

But the name of the third party is beyond belief. Surely there must be some confusion on Proud_Poppas' part. FiferB? Et tu, Bruce? The person for whom I opened my house? He slept here. I gave him nourishment. He used my bathroom. We even turned a bowl together! A fellow Trivia Meister??? Ohhhhh the pain ... the humiliation.

My only recourse is to compose a very special trivia question for tomorrow, the last day of the trivia contest.

Jarheaded

I guess some of us are too young to know anything about Red Ryder or decoder rings. As far as I know, Red Ryder is a code name and I'llleave it at that, and all decoding goes to CID. I should have had a normal childhood and played with toys. :(

great12b4ever

Well, another contest down the drain. I counted and listed 13 errors, but that wasn't enough. Oh well, I guess I need to learn to enjoy the IAP Loser's Club. Looks like I will be a permanent resident in it. :([B)]

fiferb

Wow, out of the losers club, I can't believe it![:p] Thanks Michael. This was fun.:D I'm not old enough to know Red Ryder but I do have a Red Ryder 50th Anniversary BB gun I got for Christmas one year. That's why I guessed it wasn't a decoder ring. I can provide a picture on request.:)

Sorry Al, this was my only shot to win something so I had to give it a try. Come visit and I'll share my magnets with you.:D

bruce119

Sob sob I am a loser I never win anything just one more chance. But I already know what the outcome will be. [V]

Hey but a got a mug comming. [:p]

:D :D :D

GaryMGg

...There were 18 entries. Fiferb (Bruce Fifer) and Ronschmitt (Ron Schmitt) were the only two to spot each of the three errors....

Hmmmm? The subtrivial trivia meister seems to have overlooked someone else who submitted all three errors. Wonder how I know that? [}:)]
It took me several emails to do it, but hey stuff happens. [:eek:)]:D
I don't want anything other than recognition & fame. [:p][:p]

Top Bottom