28 Pens and Counting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nilsatcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

I've been spending a lot of time making pens lately. Here's what I've done so far. The photos are crude (taken from my desk again) but they give you an idea of what I've been up to. I still have some more to finish up but it's been fun trying out all of these different pens. I'm too lazy to list all of the woods but I'll be happy to tell anyone who's interested what woods are shown. I'm leaving work in a half hour to travel to Las Vegas to see my parents and brother so have an awesome weekend, everyone!

200585173058_1.jpg

200585173113_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Really nice work.

Not to side track your turning skills, but I visited your website and it is excellent, quite possibly one of the best I've seen for pens.

Maybe you can give a fat head like me some tips when you have some spare time.

mikes pens

Hey Nils, how about letting us know what kind of wood each pen is made from. Being one of the foremost wood experts in the world, I am going to bet that the first pen's wood in the bottom row (left) is from Australia and the wood is Griffith Grey Gum.

Mike

Ryan

Mike,

The wood you think is Griffith Grey Gum sure looks like Brown Mallee Burl.[:D] I have not heard of Griffith Grey Gum. Do you have some you could show us?

Ryan

Nils,
Very nice, all of them. Bet you get a good deal on penmaking supplies. I would like to know what wood is on the pen in the lower left of the second photo, though. It is awsome and I would like some if you could say where you got it.

Dario

Nice selection Nils! Good job!

Seems like even Nils can't afford Statesman or Gentleman kits! LOL [}:)][:D]

(Dario runs for cover snikering)

Nils, those are really good looking pens & stuff [:D] Where do you find time to put stuff on sale? Must be nice to work at a place that can supply your habit.[:p]

nilsatcraft

Thanks for all the kind remarks everyone. This was a work project that had to be done by Friday so I worked on the pens during work, after work and even before work (4 AM one day, 5:30 AM another). Unfortunately there were no Statesman or Jr. Gents- those ones were already done so I didn't need anymore. I had a good time in Nevada this weekend and (I'm ducking for cover with Dario) I enjoyed the break from penturning. [:I] I feel more refreshed now. [:)]

Ken- I wanted to stop by but we were only actually in Las Vegas for about three hours Friday night- just long enough to see my dad before he flew out of town. We spent Saturday and Sunday in Logandale at my folks' house. I gave a pen to each family member but I would have loved to have them engraved.

Ryan and Mike- Ryan is correct, it's Australian Mallee. We sell it here at Craft Supplies- product number 206-9134. Of course they all look different but there are some beautiful blanks in stock.

Here's a crude list of the materials used (some of this is guesswork because I just can't keep track). Top Pic (L-R): Redwood Burl, Cocobolo, Red Jasper Trustone, Cocobolo, Red Dyed Quilted Poplar, Fuscia Dyed Box Elder Burl, Siberian Pea Tree, Cocobolo, Redwood Burl, Bocote, Amboyna Burl, Purple Dyed Box Elder Burl, Cocobolo, Blue Dyed Quilted Poplar, Crimson Celluloid, Lace She-Oak. Bottom Pic (L-R): Mallee Burl, Bocote, Redwood Burl, Amboyna Burl, She-Oak, Black Dyed Box Elder Burl (x2), Buckeye Burl, Cocobolo, Orange Celluloid, Cocobolo and Kingwood.
All of these blanks are available from Craft Supplies on our Pen Blanks page

It's back to marketing for me. I didn't get much done last week so I'm excited to get back to it. Thanks again for all the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom