1st plate: Valleys run through it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

leehljp

Member Liaison
My first plate. I had a Japanese Elm (Keyaki) board that had some beautiful grain in the crotch (mostly sapwood). I cut the basic circle and turned it. Beautiful grain showed up.

I cut and turned the basic shape and then stabilized it in a vac with acrylic/acetone mix. The wood was VERY dry and almost brittle. Stabilizing it helped. Finished with several coats of tung oil and finally hand rubbed wax.

It is 6 inches in diameter. First picture was taken from an angle, and to the un-initiated it looks oval. I don't have an oval lathe yet, so it was the camera. :rolleyes:

1_ValleysRunThrough_1stPlate1.jpg

Overhead to show that it is "round". I must say that carving those grooves in the wood to make the valleys was difficult, but I managed. :wink:

The bottom picture gives more of the true color but when viewed at angles, it does look darker.

1_ValleysRunThrough_1stPlate_2.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

wow carving and turning oval You are a master!! HA HA..sure is pretty wood, and you did a fine job on it..very lovely

Jim Smith

Beautiful job Lee. That almost looks like it's moving with all that grain. Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

Jim Smith

jhs494

Beautiful work. The depth of the grain is quite stunning! You have done an oustanding job of showing it off.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Top Bottom