1st attempt at CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LagniappeRob

LagniappeRob

I know it's only a slimline... but have limited options at the moment, and wasn't sure I wanted to risk a more expensive kit.

I watched a couple differen Youtube videos about it, and read the article on the library here... then ended up doing my own thing:

1) 3 drops on 1st section, wipe with folded strip of PT - lightly only until glossy all over.
2) Spray with accelerator.
3) Wait 20 seconds or so, and wipe with the clean end of PT.

Repeat for other section. By the time I ended with the next section, I could go back to the 1st.

Put 12 coats total. Used Bob Smith Industried Super-Gold.
Wood is Jatoba. Kit is Fancy Slimline in Gunmetal from lrubin28 on ebay...

Attachments

• IMAG0902-small.jpg
    IMAG0902-small.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Good pen Rob!! Narrow the nib end a bit...bulb looks a little big. When using accelerator to sure CA for a finish...and this is just my experience...2' away and just a spritz or two. This is where fresh CA really makes a difference!

LagniappeRob

Thanks! Second one today (basic stick shaped slimline) was a little better, and faster to do.

Know I haven't posted any other than this. Thanks for the encouragement. This past month was the 1st time in over 15 years I had touched a lathe. And back then it was a lot more metalwork than anything. Nowadays I sit behind a desk and push buttons for a living (ie programmer/analyst). Picked it up as a way to relax and not be staring at a screen. While I haven't been posting, I have been reading... a lot! I'm sure I'll be participating more as I feel more comfortable that I don't totally suck at this.

Top Bottom