12 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Welcome to the twelfth day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>. You will have until 12 noon ET tomorrow to email your answer to this question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and two winners selected every day. The winners will be announced about 8 P.M. ET of the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 12.....

Question - In the instructional video, "Making the Kallenshaan Woods Stars and Stripes Pen", by Ed Davidson, how does Ed deviate from the gluing procedures provided by Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods?

(Note: Good luck!!)

Email your answer to: <s>2008bashtrivia@penturners.org</s> Closed

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of the email i.e., 12 Jan Trivia. (saves time for the TRIVIAMEISTER in processing entries.)

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by airrat

Your asking us to prove a pen turner deviates from the instructions? Works outside of the box? GASP!!!!

There are a few people who can "think outside the box" for themselves Airrat... just don't ask us to NAME them! ;)

[:X] Mrs

karlkuehn

Banned
On a serious note (pay attention, these whole 'serious' things don't come to me often), I really think this is a great trivia question because it forces us to watch a video about advanced pen crafting that we probably wouldn't have at this point, (at least that's how it works for me) stretching and pushing the educational threshold for most of us.

I'm sure that that's what Bruce had in mind, but if not, I'd encourage all the 'trivia masters' this month to think along these lines. When coming up with questions, find stuff that will teach people how to dig (most of the answers are out there) for information, because we'll all do it when there's a chance at a prize at stake, rather than our normal tendency to ask questions first and do research later. "Hey, how do I cut wood?" [:p]

My best professors in college were the ones that didn't encourage the ability to memorize and duplicate to ace a final; they taught us how to learn to LEARN! Rather than try to pick up concepts in school that had been done to death, many of them realized that with the Internet came the power (and burden) to be able to research any subject at any time, and learn more about it in an hour than we could learn hunting all over the Library of Congress for three days.

With the questions that we've had so far, I've been forced to Google things that I never would have thought to look at, but in the process I learned a ton of useful stuff that has helped me progress not only a pen crafter, but as a turner and ultimately, a wood worker.

Keep up the good work you guys! :)

Now, about that answer...I haven't seen the video either, so...[:p]

fiferb

I'm sure that that's what Bruce had in mind,

We have a mind reader in our midst![}:)][}:)]

On a serious note (pay attention, these whole 'serious' things don't come to me often), I really think this is a great trivia question because it forces us to watch a video about advanced pen crafting that we probably wouldn't have at this point, (at least that's how it works for me) stretching and pushing the educational threshold for most of us.

And apparently he really is because this is exactly what I was trying to do.:D:D:D Thanks for the compliment. Look for more of the same over the next few days.

Only 24 people have sent in a response to this so far and not all are correct. Get your answers in soon, only 3 more hours for this one.

TBone

In my case, I did not know that Ed had created the videos for the Stars and Stripes. I agree that I have learned a lot with the trivia questions. I compliment and thank the Triviameisters. Still can't believe I was stupid and missed Randy's "what size wood and how many blanks" question.....it's called overthinking. :D

fiferb

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question - In the instructional video, Making the Kallenshaan Woods Stars and Stripes Pen, by Ed Davidson, how does Ed deviate from the gluing procedures provided by Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods?

Answer â€" Ed deviates on the stripes by gluing with CA instead of the thinned wood glue recommend by Ken for both the stars and stripes. Ed clearly states his deviation in the second of the three videos.

Note: There were 26 entries for this question.

The winners of the day 12 contest are:

kirkfranks

and

Rob

And the prizes are:

Prize One - $20.00 gift certificate donated by Ernie Bear Tooth Woods

Prize Two - Pen Blanks donated by jhs494

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won, in the title block of the email, please. (Example: Jan 12 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.
4. Phone number.(New requirement per Andrew as FedEx requires it for packages they carry.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of this forum. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

TBone

I have a set of instructions from Ken and it only mentions water-thinned glue for the stars.

" Position the natural maple stripes into the recesses in the barrel. There's only one they'll fit. Make sure they are well seated to avoid gaps when turned into the final diameter. Apply a small dot of CA glue at 3 or 4 points along the length of the stripe and then move to the next one. Once they are in place you can aply CA glue all alon the seams to totally seal the barrel.

The first line of the instructions say "Don't insert the brass tube into the lower red barrel until all the stripes are glued in place." Ed obviously doesn't do that. That's why that was my answer. Are there more than one set of instructions?

Malainse

Originally posted by TBone

I have a set of instructions from Ken and it only mentions water-thinned glue for the stars.

" Position the natural maple stripes into the recesses in the barrel. There's only one they'll fit. Make sure they are well seated to avoid gaps when turned into the final diameter. Apply a small dot of CA glue at 3 or 4 points along the length of the stripe and then move to the next one. Once they are in place you can aply CA glue all alon the seams to totally seal the barrel.

Your not alone...My instructions say the same thing ?????[?]

fiferb

The first line of the instructions say "Don't insert the brass tube into the lower red barrel until all the stripes are glued in place." Ed obviously doesn't do that. That's why that was my answer. Are there more than one set of instructions?

This is correct. However, unless you purchased a kit from Ken, you wouldn't have the instructions. That is why I specifically referenced the video and in part two of his series, Ed clearly states how he deviates from the instructions. Also, I counted this answer as correct if it is what was given.

TBone

Thanks Bruce. Wasn't really worried about the answer being counted, just confused. I did notice where Ed made the statement, but having read the instructions first it was confusing. He also made the statement at the same time he was inserting the tube prior to assembly. I see the angle now, using the video only. Thanks.

DocStram

Originally posted by Malainse

Your not alone...My instructions say the same thing ?????[?]

Ummm Mitch? Tommy? I'd say it's time you two "Blank the TriviaMeister". Remember this thread?
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32048&whichpage=1

Bruce . . . send them your address.

;)

Draken

Actually, he only deviates and uses CA on the stripes. He uses the thinned down wood glue for the stars as shown in the first part of the video. This distinction may change the number of correct entries you received for this question.

TBone

"So, remember ... you think a question is too hard? Send him a blank.
This question is too easy? Send him a blank.
You don't like the wording? Send him a blank.
You don't like this post? Send DocStram a blank.
Get it?"

Well technically I don't fit one of the statements. It's not that I didn't like the wording, just didn't understand the answer. :D But then it's not the first time I've been confused. MOF, it's not the first time on the trivia contest. Come to think of it, it's not the first time today either. :D
So since "technically" I guess I could be considered as giving Bruce a hard time and well as far as Doc's post, that speaks for itself, I will blank both of you upon receipt of addresses. :D

fiferb

Actually, he only deviates and uses CA on the stripes. He uses the thinned down wood glue for the stars as shown in the first part of the video. This distinction may change the number of correct entries you received for this question.

Thanks Draken, this was taken into consideration, also.

TBone

You are correct Bruce. It lead me to view 3 videos that I didn't even know existed, so it served it's purpose. Ed did a great job on them too. But I'll still blank you. :D

DocStram

You are correct Bruce. It lead me to view 3 videos that I didn't even know existed, so it served it's purpose. Ed did a great job on them too. But I'll still blank you. :D

We're really just kidding about the Blank the Trivia Meister thing. Really! :D:D

Top Bottom