Hello from Cowtown

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Foushee

Hello y'all! For the last year my 12yo daughter has been asking (pleading) for a lathe so she could start pen turning. We attended a couple of demonstrations at our local Rockler and last month during their "Garage Sale" I finally broke down and bought a Jet 1221VS. The only issue I encountered was that after getting it setup and we turned our first pens I quickly realized I was an idiot for not buying one sooner. :biggrin:

I was told about this site from one of the guys we met at a pen turning demonstration. We both looking forward to many more years of turning.

IMG_5841.jpg

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Agreed, off to a phenomenal start! GREAT WORK!

Sean, I think many here have found that their kids do a great job, and sometimes better than their Dads, or Moms.

I lived in CowTown '75-'81 and remember the heatwave of '80. Memorable times! Still visit once in a while.

WELCOME TO THE IAP FORUM!

Last edited:

MDWine

Welcome Foushee and daughter!

There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!
The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

You're off to a FANTASTIC start there! Congrats! Daughter needs her own login so we can see HER work... (gotta show up the ole'man!! ;O) )

CONGRATULATIONS YOUNG LADY!

YOU ROCK! Your pen designs look like one of a kind originals to me.

Have an 8 and 11 year old grandsons. Both are afraid of simple power tools like scroll saw and lathe. You keep up the great work. Can't pay them to be in my shop except when they want something, usually batteries or me to fix something.

Keep it up,

Thanks dad!

Woodchipper

Welcome to both of you! Should have bought a lathe a long time ago??? My father said hindsight is 20/20. Those pens are awesome! Fit and finish are excellent! Thanks for the great story and the photos. I have an 11 yo grandson who has made some pens. Have some pens to build so I can get him to help.

Foushee

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! We definitely caught the turning bug, so much so that my daughter came home last night with her first commission to turn a pencil for one of her classmates. I really love how much information and knowledge y'all have gathered in this forum (was poking around the "Library" most of the evening) and I'm excited to see where this journey takes us.

Next up, silicone molds and casting blanks.

Dieseldoc

Sean:
Great to see another young person involved in wood craft and pen tuning.
For me we as a group need to do a better job encouraging our your people n something other than a hand help electronic device.

Good job on the pen's by the way.

Cheers

Charlie

MTViper

Greetings from Clyde, TX (near Abilene). Great work on your daughter's part for her first pens. Get to know the Woodcraft guys in Hurst. Woodcraft and Rocklers have great classes especially for new turners.

Top Bottom