Spray bottle for accelerator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

I have been using Stick Fast CA for my finish. I bought an aerosol can of accelerator and liked it. I ran out and figured I would get a pump spray bottle of it so I could refill the bottle. This bottle is awful. The spray pattern is unpredictable, it gets product everywhere and causes white streaks in the finish. Has anyone found a good pump spray bottle or tried any of the refillable aerosol cans?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

Hi Eric - I doubt you will find your solution in a spray bottle - I've been this route many years ago & I found the aerosol can is the only way to go. When you release the button on a spray bottle, the action draws moisture into the bottle which causes the white effects. I'm not familiar with the refillable aerosol cans that you refer to.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

I've always used the pump spray bottles without any issues, however:

I don't point the nozzle at the blank, but instead spray over the top of the spinning blank.

That way, any large droplets travel past the blank, and the mist that remains settles down onto the glue. The mist accelerates the cure without any streaks or blobs of foam.

I hope that helps,
Eric

vtgaryw

I agree that I've never had luck with a pump bottle. In fact, the times I've tried another brand of CA, I always buy a cheap pump bottle of accelerator, but it's always disappointing. It doesn't really give my CA trial a fair test.

Has anyone ever tried one of the Preval Sprayers? I've used them over the years for other things with good luck: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-Sprayer-2-Pack-0225/203826736?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CVF%7CD24%7CMulti%7CPPG%7CPLA%7CPaint%7CPPG%7CLiquids%7c71700000033435678%7c58700004738652539%7c92700040254964193&gclid=CjwKCAiAsoviBRAoEiwATm8OYIokL1RY_vsAiQ9ckTPmGjp3sl3X5qVn1sydRUiVO-GZzRkwya2mvxoCajwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

larryc

I quit using the pump spray years ago because of the inconsistent spray pattern and other problems that have been mentioned. I used the refillable spray bottles for a long time but started having nozzle problems. I started using the store bought aerosol cans and that works good. I have arthritis in my hands so the Stickfast accelerator cans are difficult for me to use. Bob Smith Industries sells aerosol accelerator in cans that will accept a spray can accessory grip that solves that problem for me.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The Preval sprayers may be ok but you have to buy the can of compressed gas to use it. The one that Exoticblanks has you pressurize with your air compressor.

vtgaryw

The Preval sprayers may be ok but you have to buy the can of compressed gas to use it. The one that Exoticblanks has you pressurize with your air compressor.

So pricey upfront but no recurring expense. Can't tell from the picture, what size is that refillable bottle?

The other question is, comparing cost of aerosol cans to liquid. If you buy a 12 oz can of activator, how much liquid is it? Is it really 12 oz of liquid activator?

-gary

TonyL

I wonder if an olive oil sprayer would work. It does spray a fine mist of oil. Pump up and then works like an aerosol. $10 might have to get an extra and give it try. https://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed...6&sr=8-13&th=1

I own 2 mistos and both clogged and shoot a thin stream like a water pistol. I used them for olive oil though. maybe the oo viscosity causes that to happen where the accelerator would not (?).

robutacion

I have been using Stick Fast CA for my finish. I bought an aerosol can of accelerator and liked it. I ran out and figured I would get a pump spray bottle of it so I could refill the bottle. This bottle is awful. The spray pattern is unpredictable, it gets product everywhere and causes white streaks in the finish. Has anyone found a good pump spray bottle or tried any of the refillable aerosol cans?

I also have one of those refillable bottles that I rarely use, I have been using some perfume bottles I got from China many years ago, they last about 1 year but the spray pattern is fine with a nice spread, I had a quick look on eBay (from where I got them from) and the search title gave me many results, some bottles I never seen or tried before, they are not expensive to buy, if you don't like a particular one try a different one, see here

Halfway through the page, I saw what I believe are the same bottles as those I got years ago, these

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Bope

I ordered a Sure Shot Atomizer which should be here tomorrow. In the mean time I tried finishing some pens without accelerator. Things seemed to be okay until I pulled those pens out to sand and polish. After a couple days the finish had clouded. I tired another experiment last night. I finished one blank with a fairly new bottle of CA and another with the older bottle. The CA from the newer bottle dried hard and fairly flat. The finish form the older bottle was soft and very bumpy. I am betting if I leave that for a couple days the old bottle one will get cloudy. Now I get to sand down about 4 slimline Pro pens and refinish them.

Bope

I received my B-type sure shot spray bottle. I filled it with ~8oz of accelerator and pressurized it to about 80psi. I sanded off 6 slimline pro pens and refinished them. I used the fine spray tip and it atomized the accelerator very nicely. I would say is was equal to the aerosol can or accelerator I had previously used. This is much better than the pump bottles. I was sure to wipe off the nozzle when done to hopefully prevent clogging. Time will tell how well this keeps working but I love it right now. Will try turning down some scrap and try it will the old CA I have to see if it turns white. I think my white issues were the bottle of CA. With this new refillable aerosol can at least I know the crappy pump sprayer is not my problem.

Top Bottom