Old Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Any idea how old this lathe is? This is what one of my visually impaired turners has been turning on at home!

5_IMG_20190116_143658465_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robersonjr

Sharon, I had one identical to that, made by craftsman in the 40s, they may have made them earlier and I don't know when they stopped making them but for a small lathe they did work very well.

tomas

robutacion

He is one of the turners who just got a new lathe for Christmas. He thinks he's died and gone to heaven! Did I mention he has been turning with standard wood chisels because he had no tools?

No wonder why...! turning with that old machine by one of us with no visual impairments (sort off) would the taught enough, I betcha he is spending a lot more time turning, huh...? good for him.

Cheers
George

dogcatcher

I have about a dozen of these old lathes, not this particular one, but all from the 30's and 40's. When I would have shop company, I would dig one of them out and let them turn something on one of them. They usually leave with a greater appreciation for the modern conveniences of the newer lathes.

My Favorite is a #29 Goodell Pratt, a little bigger than a watchmakers lathe.

Took this pic off of Google, but it is the same as mine, except this one is nicer.

robersonjr

Here is a picture of the old lathe I used, it is hanging on the wall over the window, kinda hard to see but this is the only picture I have of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom