Buy before the tariffs hit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I read on another forum that the US government is imposing import tariffs of 25% on woodworking machines from China. If that's the case anyone wanting a new lathe, bandsaw, table saw, etc., that is sitting on the fence might want to jump and buy one from existing stock before then.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I saw a list the other day and started searching for that exact reason. I couldn't find bandsaws or wood lathes on the list. It seemed it was mostly metal lathes and general manufacturing type machinery involved. I didn't read every word but using control+f and searched the document so I could have missed something. Either way thanks for the heads up and I guarantee the prices won't be going down regardless! : )

Curly

Our government has made weed legal starting mid October. At that point lots of Canadians won't care about trade wars eh. :cool:

I'd love a Oneway but it'll be a long time, if ever, before I can afford one. I'll just have to get by with what I have.

On the other hand the Chinese may send the tools to us cheap just to move them.

magpens

I wonder if the tariffs will apply to pen kits from Taiwan ?????????

I know that Taiwan is not China, but you know how things go .......

Last edited:

farmer

Got me lost

Our government has made weed legal starting mid October. At that point lots of Canadians won't care about trade wars eh. :cool:

I'd love a Oneway but it'll be a long time, if ever, before I can afford one. I'll just have to get by with what I have.

Our federal government made weed legal ?
What does Cannabis have anything to do with the price of metal lathes ?

KCW

Our federal government made weed legal ?
What does Cannabis have anything to do with the price of metal lathes ?

He is from Canada, and yes they passed a bill to legalize it. As to the second part, I believe it was a bit tongue in cheek, saying once everyone is high on legal weed, the trade wars will be a moot point.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I needed a couple of 1 1/2 x 3/8 bolts last week and while I was near HomeDepot I went in and they were 25 cents each. After I mounted them I discovered that I really needed 2 inch. I went to my local hardware store and the 2 inch ones were 85 cents EACH. I asked why - and the fellow said that they just re-stocked with bolts that had the China tariffs added.

I knew that arguments were futile with a salesman but I know that somewhere along the line someone is making up a huge lie for monetary gain. I have known the store owner's family since childhood and they are not the type to abuse prices like that and are very competitive in pricing. The middlemen or major companies are jumping at the chance to price gouge, IMO.

Curly

I'll sit corrected but isn't the 25% tarrif for Canadian goods on aluminium and steel goods are 10%? You have the option of getting the Robust or even a Serious assuming they don't use steel imported form Canada or any other counties their prices should remain the same while the Oneways and Chinese lathes go up in price.

Like I said we may in the short term be able to buy imported machines for even less money if the Chinese want to move the machines they have instead of them sitting in the warehouse gathering dust.

farmer

Legal weed

I didn't know the OP was from Canada .
To bad the USA doesn't make cannabis legal in all the states .

Maybe America need to make there own bolts and metal lathes and get away from some of the cheap import crap .

Some of the bolts china uses on there machinery is pure crap .

Party on .

More4dan

25% on steel and 10% on Aluminum materials not finished products. Plate beams and pipe. So US made equipment made of foreign materials will cost more. Products made overseas with foreign sourced steel/aluminum will not be hit with a steel/aluminum tariff. The government would have to impose a separate tariff on the finished goods. I've been.working this issue and it's impact on our Projects in the Gulf of Mexico oil field where we purchase tens of thousands of tons of steel from around the world.

The price of domestic steel and aluminum will be going up too.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

On top of all this comes the tax law changes being proposed. Collecting taxes for goods sold on the net. Imagine the nightmare that will cause and what it will do to the small business guy. How many people that sell here will be collecting taxes because I am sure they report their sales to the IRS:)

Terredax

Banned
25% on steel and 10% on Aluminum materials not finished products. Plate beams and pipe. So US made equipment made of foreign materials will cost more. Products made overseas with foreign sourced steel/aluminum will not be hit with a steel/aluminum tariff. The government would have to impose a separate tariff on the finished goods. I've been.working this issue and it's impact on our Projects in the Gulf of Mexico oil field where we purchase tens of thousands of tons of steel from around the world.

The price of domestic steel and aluminum will be going up too.

I think I read that they have done that on agricultural goods, and industrial machinery.

On top of all this comes the tax law changes being proposed. Collecting taxes for goods sold on the net. Imagine the nightmare that will cause and what it will do to the small business guy. How many people that sell here will be collecting taxes because I am sure they report their sales to the IRS:)

That has already passed the supreme court.

Penultimate

Greetings
I had to review the tariff list at work. TV components and finished machinery including woodworking machines are included. Shop quickly.

Our sourcing manager said the some of our USA manufacturers are raising prices because they can.

Top Bottom