Cufflinks For Days

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

I hit the workshop this morning and wanted to make something different. After making a Moose Antler ring, I decided to make a pair of Cufflinks. (I have hundreds of little pieces of wood left over from my pen blanks, so I wanted to put em to use.)

Well, 5 hours later I had 26 individual Cufflinks and a moose antler ring.

Figured I would show em off. :)

IMG_0223.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very lovely !!! . Would be nice to see a side view of a pair, please.

And ... also the moose antler ring ...

Last edited:
Very lovely !!! . Would be nice to see a side view of a pair, please.

And ... also the moose antler ring ...

Here is a side view of a set I made a friend to match a big oak pen:

IMG_0089.JPG

I'll snap some of the 26 I made today when I get home on Wednesday. I'll likely have some more to show then too.

I've since switched to a higher quality cufflink blank from Amazon.

Here is a quick snap of the core-less moose antler ring:

IMG_0230.JPG

I'm going to wear it for a few days to see how it holds up before I make any more. I'm heading back in the country moose hunting this weekend so if it survives that, I think they will be more than durable enough to justify more.

Last edited:

magpens

Thanks, Marc !

Wow, I really like those bog oak cufflinks !! . How did you enhance the grain so much ?

They look really good with the accentuated surface grain.

About the picture of the moose antler ring ... does not seem to enlarge ... message displayed seems to indicate that the link to the stored picture is faulty in some way. . The cufflinks picture enlarges just fine.

Enjoy your time in the bush ! Go easy on the moose ! (meese ?)

Last edited:
Thanks, Marc !

Wow, I really like those bog oak cufflinks !! . How did you enhance the grain so much ?

About the picture of the moose antler ring ... does not seem to enlarge ... message displayed seems to indicate that the link to the stored picture is faulty in some way. . The cufflinks picture enlarges just fine.

For Bog Oak, skip the sanding and hit it with a scrub brush. That will remove the softer material and make the grain pop more. Then I just hit it with Aussie Oil.

magpens

Now the ring picture enlarges. . Ring looks really good . . Thanks for fixing !

The structure of the antler material is really interesting ... can't think of what it reminds me of ... somewhat kinda pearly in that pic.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those are very nice.

My father-in-law never liked neckties, but as a lawyer/judge needed a formal appearance. He collected bolos. That also would make for great small piece projects.

Those are very nice.

My father-in-law never liked neckties, but as a lawyer/judge needed a formal appearance. He collected bolos. That also would make for great small piece projects.

I'm very similar. I hate formal attire and prefer to wear jeans in the office.

To dress it up a bit, I wear a cuffed dress shirt with white cuffs and collars.

Tell your father in law we have a local judge that does the same. I think it says a lot about a lawyer/judge when they like wear less formal clothing. It makes people much more comfortable around you.

Anglesachse

Thanks, Marc !

For Bog Oak, skip the sanding and hit it with a scrub brush. That will remove the softer material and make the grain pop more. Then I just hit it with Aussie Oil.

What is Aussie oil? on Google i just get Hair oil:confused:

Thanks, Marc !

What is Aussie oil? on Google i just get Hair oil:confused:

Here is what it looks like. Most Online Woodworking places have it. Only downside is that it is fairly expensive:

IMG_0231.JPG

OZturner

Great Concept and Execution Marc,
Thank you for now I have a perfect justification for all the small off-cuts that I have accumulated over the years.
All I have to do is convince SWMBO.
Congratulations,
Brian.

fitty

Great to see someone else making them. Looks like I way a ways to go to catch up. Haven't tried making them with wood yet, but have a piece of desert ironwood that I think will look nice for the next ones.

IMG_0396.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

fitty

Great to see someone else making them. Looks like I way a ways to go to catch up. Haven't tried making them with wood yet, but have a piece of desert ironwood that I think will look nice for the next ones.

View attachment 184131

I love these!

Thank! I've done a few on the lathe, but the rest free hand with a belt sander and a dremel. There are feewcabochons and alumlite ones, but the others are fossilized coral, mammoth ivory and mammoth tooth.

Mark

Top Bottom