Variable speed upgrade for Jet 1014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike

I have been considering a variable speed upgrade for my Jet 1014 (1/2 HP). I have the bed extension.
I have been looking at this kit:
https://www.servomotorkit.com/produ...or-external-1-2-hp-11-nm-torque-300-3-500-rpm
I am sure Rick Herrell can make me a shaft adapter (existing is 14 mm and new is 15mm) and bore out the existing motor spindle to fit. The motor is small enough to easily fit where the old motor is using the same mounting bracket with small mods.
My only real concern is this; will the belt handle double the original HP?
The 1800 RPM belt position is almost exactly 1:1 ratio. This would give me 300 to 3500 RPM without changing belt position. I could get down to about 100 RPM using the 500 RPM belt position.
I am not an aggressive turner and mostly turn things like pens, small bowls and rolling pins.
I am planning a table pedestal that will be about 4" diameter in the center and 9" on each end. I will add top and bottom pieces to build to app 30" tall.
I am afraid ½ HP is a little small for a chunk of timber that big.
A new lathe is out of the budget and I don't have room anyway.
Any and all thoughts/ideas/criticisms welcome.

Custom Crafter also have a ¾ HP version as well. Would ¾ HP handle a piece as described above? I would be less concerned about the belt strength with it.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I used the PSI one that curl linked to to upgrade my first lathe - a Harbor Freight - to Variable Speed. It worked great, but I did need to make a small bushing so I could put my HF pulley on the PSI motor. - Dave

Mike

Why wouldn't you go with Penn State's Variable conversion kit? It fits your lathe, has a 3/4hp motor, there is no need for machining adaptors etc and it is cheaper.

I would still need to change belt positions. With the one I am looking at, I can change speeds from about 300 RPM to 3500 RPM without changing belt position. And it is 1.2 HP.

Mike

Curly

Not many people will have done a conversion that more than doubled the horse power and pushed the lathe to its maximum to have much experience to comment. My wag would be that the belt will have a short life.

Pete

egnald

I would still need to change belt positions. With the one I am looking at, I can change speeds from about 300 RPM to 3500 RPM without changing belt position. And it is 1.2 HP.

Mike
Mike,
I can't remember for sure, but I think with the PSI converter I was able to run my HF lathe from 500 RPM all the way up to 3500 RPM without moving the belt. I know my Variable Speed JET has belts, but I never need to change them to get that kind of range out of it. That being said, I would probably be looking at the setup you pointed out too. - Dave

Mike

Thanks, Dave and Curly.

The current PSI setup has these speed ranges. It cannot go below 650.

-Belt position 1: 650 - 1450 rpm

-Belt position 2: 1250 - 2800 rpm

-Belt position 3: 1600 - 3800 rpm

I think I am going to go with the 1.2 HP motor and if it breaks the belt, I will get some different pulleys and a bigger belt. They have a wide variety of pulleys for sale on the Custom Crafter site.

Thanks,
Mike

d_bondi

Thanks, Dave and Curly.

The current PSI setup has these speed ranges. It cannot go below 650.

-Belt position 1: 650 - 1450 rpm

-Belt position 2: 1250 - 2800 rpm

-Belt position 3: 1600 - 3800 rpm

I think I am going to go with the 1.2 HP motor and if it breaks the belt, I will get some different pulleys and a bigger belt. They have a wide variety of pulleys for sale on the Custom Crafter site.

Thanks,
Mike

So, one thing about horsepower is that it is what the motor is rated at and capable of, not necessarily what it is putting out at all times. If you are turning small diameter items like pens, I am no expert, but I doubt you will force the motor to flex, draw more current (this is where the horsepower comes from) and stress the belt.

Short version, it is all about the load you put on it, if you turn pens, light load, likely no issue. If you start turning larger items like bowls, you will be turning at lower spindle speed with much more torque and horsepower and will probably want to keep a few belts stocked.

Curly

Ultimately the choices you make will be based on how you see things and that's understandable.

I see you spending $225 plus whatever shipping and taxes are involved (haven't looked that far) and then having to at least spend money to make bushings or adaptors and possibly spend more on belts and pulley upgrades to end up with a lathe that is going to be pushed to its limits.

So to me that's money time and effort that might be better spent getting a slightly bigger (area it takes up) lathe with the capacity to do the projects you want for a little more especially when you get a little money selling the 1014. An older Nova like I have can swing 16," more with the head swivelled and about 20 inches long. Sure I have to change the belt positions but that wouldn't stop you from upgrading to the motor kit you found or one of their bigger kits later if you wanted.

I never saw the sense in trying to stuff a big V8 in a Vega so the upgrade you are contemplating is equal to me. Again the choice is yours and I hope it is worth it in the end.

Mike

So, one thing about horsepower is that it is what the motor is rated at and capable of, not necessarily what it is putting out at all times. If you are turning small diameter items like pens, I am no expert, but I doubt you will force the motor to flex, draw more current (this is where the horsepower comes from) and stress the belt.

Short version, it is all about the load you put on it, if you turn pens, light load, likely no issue. If you start turning larger items like bowls, you will be turning at lower spindle speed with much more torque and horsepower and will probably want to keep a few belts stocked.
Yes, I understand how the HP is not used unless you put a load on it. And I will not be turning anything too big very often. My main reason for the upgrade is the VS. I really like that you can go from 300 to 3500 without changing belts.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Mike

Ultimately the choices you make will be based on how you see things and that's understandable.

I see you spending $225 plus whatever shipping and taxes are involved (haven't looked that far) and then having to at least spend money to make bushings or adaptors and possibly spend more on belts and pulley upgrades to end up with a lathe that is going to be pushed to its limits.

So to me that's money time and effort that might be better spent getting a slightly bigger (area it takes up) lathe with the capacity to do the projects you want for a little more especially when you get a little money selling the 1014. An older Nova like I have can swing 16," more with the head swivelled and about 20 inches long. Sure I have to change the belt positions but that wouldn't stop you from upgrading to the motor kit you found or one of their bigger kits later if you wanted.

I never saw the sense in trying to stuff a big V8 in a Vega so the upgrade you are contemplating is equal to me. Again the choice is yours and I hope it is worth it in the end.
Curly, you are right.
I don't want a bigger lathe because I will probably never need it and mostly, I don't have room. This one is mounted on a heavy duty sawhorse and has the bed extension. I can move it around as needed. I am old and in chronic pain, so that is important.
Your reasoning brought me back to my original thoughts, which was getting the speed range without changing belt position.
I am going to get the 3/4 HP motor and go with that. It has the same speed range and is almost bolt in.
The only issue I see is the motor shaft size and Rick can make me an adapter for that. I will wait until I get the motor and take exact measurements and send Rick the dimensions and the pulley and he can take it from there.
And I think the belt will handle 3/4 HP with the things I am turning.

Thanks again,
Mike

d_bondi

Yes, I understand how the HP is not used unless you put a load on it. And I will not be turning anything too big very often. My main reason for the upgrade is the VS. I really like that you can go from 300 to 3500 without changing belts.

Thanks for the input.

Mike
You bet Mike.

I have the Jet 1221VS and love that fact that for pen turning I never have to move the belt. While at the same time, knowing that when I do decide to turn something larger I have the option of moving the belt down and getting the torque and HP I need in order to do so. I started on a Harbor Freight mini lathe that had 5 belt positions and remember thinking that VS would be a luxury. Now, having had the VS for a while, I can't even think of going back. :cool:

Mike

You bet Mike.

I have the Jet 1221VS and love that fact that for pen turning I never have to move the belt. While at the same time, knowing that when I do decide to turn something larger I have the option of moving the belt down and getting the torque and HP I need in order to do so. I started on a Harbor Freight mini lathe that had 5 belt positions and remember thinking that VS would be a luxury. Now, having had the VS for a while, I can't even think of going back. :cool:
I am going to take pictures and document the conversion. I am going to keep the existing pulleys and belt. This will give me a wide range of speeds and as you mention, the ability to move the belt down and get more torque if needed.

Thanks,
Mike

Top Bottom