Using a Lathe: Seated vs Standing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My brother-in-law is excellent on a lathe; he has helped me fill orders many times. Unfortunately, he has a serious issue with one knee, so standing at the lathe is becoming a bigger and bigger problem for him. That's too bad because he really loves creating some excellent pieces.

I was wondering if there are any of you that know if it would be possible to work a lathe (his is a 14" lathe) while being seated? If so, what modifications of the workspace are generally required? (Photos maybe?) I've tried sitting on a tall stool and working sometimes (when I'm tired), but it never really felt very comfortable.

All input appreciated, and thanks. --James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike

I would like to see ideas on this as well. I have intense lower back pain after standing for just a few minutes. I tried turning a pen while sitting and it was ok, but not comfortable.

Thanks,
Mike

dogcatcher

I have been setting on a barstool with my lathe sitting on an old wooden desk for almost 24 years. My drill press, I have a barstool in front of it. My saw, same set up, raised to the right height with a barstool to sit on.

sorcerertd

It helps me to just keep a milk crate nearby to put one foot on to relieve low back pain. I prefer to stand just because I feel that I have more control over the chisels that way.

It helps me to just keep a milk crate nearby to put one foot on to relieve low back pain. I prefer to stand just because I feel that I have more control over the chisels that way.
Great idea. Sometimes the solution is simply a change of position by resting a foot (leg & knee) to also alter the pressure on the back. Makes a lot of sense.

leehljp

Member Liaison
There are a few lathe stands that lean the lathe over about 20Ā° or more for those that need to sit. It has been a while since I have seen those but they have been available commercially in the past.

Ahh, here we go:

He may not need this type, but sitting is possible.

MedWoodWorx

My brother-in-law is excellent on a lathe; he has helped me fill orders many times. Unfortunately, he has a serious issue with one knee, so standing at the lathe is becoming a bigger and bigger problem for him. That's too bad because he really loves creating some excellent pieces.

I was wondering if there are any of you that know if it would be possible to work a lathe (his is a 14" lathe) while being seated? If so, what modifications of the workspace are generally required? (Photos maybe?) I've tried sitting on a tall stool and working sometimes (when I'm tired), but it never really felt very comfortable.

All input appreciated, and thanks. --James
if you need to turn pens only, a micro lathe can be used while seated. My first lathe was a proxxon woodlathe; i use it now to finish the pen tubes and also transport it to a warm room if needed. cheers

rherrell

I don't know any other way, I was hurt in a work accident in 2004 and I didn't get my first lathe until 2006. I need crutches to walk and I sit doing everything in my shop. I'm used to it and it seems "normal" to me, your BIL should be just fine sitting at the lathe.
I have "full size" machines in my shop, a Jet 1642 wood lathe, a Precision Matthews 1340gt metal lathe and a 9x32 milling machine. The wood lathe is normal height and I have a barstool that I sit on. The milling machine is also the normal height but I made my own stand for the metal lathe and it's lower than normal. I use a doctors exam stool to roll around the shop and I modified it with a longer hydraulic cylinder so I can raise and lower myself according to what I'm doing.

Last edited:

BULLWINKLE

I imagine that one would get used to sitting at the lathe over time. The main thing I can think of is that the height needs to be both comfortable and conducive to efficient turning. I turn standing up but I've seen people turning when they're seated. They seem to have no problem with it.

SteveG

I addressed this issue in a thread a few years ago:
https://www.penturners.org/threads/...ng-with-back-pain-and-other-frailties.164766/

I included a vid by Ernie Conover. The topic is a bench designed specifically for remaining seated while turning a variety of items on a full sized lathe. The basic idea is to use a bench which the turner can slide left and right, as desired, while turning. The ability to move around a bit allows me to be seated, or more like sit/lean on the bench, so it should have a sufficiently large base to counter the tendency to tip backwards due to the leaning posture. It takes a little getting used to, and I typically employ a combo of sitting and standing when doing turning projects, using the bench that I built.

This is the video

Robbie

A few years ago, my brother had an issue standing at his lathe. While visiting him, I realized his problem so I purchased a stool with metal legs then also purchased a set of caster wheels that would slip into the legs. We made sure that the floor was clean under the lathe, this allowed him to move in/out and right or left with ease while sitting. He used this for a few years until he could no longer use his tools.

Curly

My .02. Sitting in front the lathe with a chisel is dangerous.
So how do you propose handicapped people turn wood? We have a club member that is somewhere between a paraplegic and a quadriplegic. He turns in his wheelchair and because he can't grip the handle of his tool has it inside the end of his fingerless glove that protect his hands when using the wheelchair. He works safely and manages just fine. If you are ever close to being in his shoes we will take your lathe away from you to keep you from the danger.

keithlong

I do all my turning sitting at my lathe. I was born with a degenerative hip disease and after standing on concrete over an offset printing press for 26 years, I have to sit down to turn. I have an adjustable stool that came out of the science lab of a high school. They threw away about 30 of them and by the time I found out about it, I got the last one. Turning small items is easy enough, but when turning bowls I sit to the side of the piece I am turning. It gets tiring on my shoulders but is good exercise too.

PreacherJon

I'd have a hard time sitting at a lathe doing anything other than pens. I move my body when doing bowls.

Mike

Wow...look at that WORKSHOP!! šŸ¤¤

I addressed this issue in a thread a few years ago:
https://www.penturners.org/threads/...ng-with-back-pain-and-other-frailties.164766/

I included a vid by Ernie Conover. The topic is a bench designed specifically for remaining seated while turning a variety of items on a full sized lathe. The basic idea is to use a bench which the turner can slide left and right, as desired, while turning. The ability to move around a bit allows me to be seated, or more like sit/lean on the bench, so it should have a sufficiently large base to counter the tendency to tip backwards due to the leaning posture. It takes a little getting used to, and I typically employ a combo of sitting and standing when doing turning projects, using the bench that I built.

This is the video
I think I like Ernie's bench in the above video but I don't have room for it. I have two ancient (mid 1970s) rolling stools I bought for $3.50 each from a semiconductor company in Colorado Springs when they were renovating. They have a back, a square seat with rounded corners and I replaced the old casters with roller blade style casters. I think I will trash the back and make round seat bases and cover with leather (my son can do that). They are adjustable height. It will be a few weeks at least, but I will post pics when I get it done.

Mike

SteveG

There will be plusses and minuses with each of the different solutions we might use. I cannot stand without support due to balance issues. That is compounded by back and body pain. At the lathe, the challenge is threefold:
1. Need to sit.
2. Need to move around a bit.
3. Need to NOT move when doing certain aspects of turning.
Ernie's bench solution addresses each of these, to some extent. Besides the lathe bench, I have two other stools with adjustable height seats: one with wheels, and one without. These are for non-turning activity. The no-wheel stool is for use when needing to put some "push" into the task at hand. The push would just move the wheeled stool backwards. The combo of these additions to the shop make woodworking possible for me. They are the necessary extra tools which I need, and they work. They do call for additional safety practices, but that does not exclude their use and usefulness in the shop.

henry1164

Not the answer to every situation but some number of years ago one of my career choices was selling ergonomic furniture and equipment. One item that was very helpful to the position of having to stand for long periods of time was the sit-stand stool. It allows for a near standing posture at equipment without full strain on the legs/knees/back. It does take some practice at balance (so don't try if you have a balance issue) - I can easily lean forward, left and right with little effort. I purchased this item and use it on a regular basis - https://www.amazon.com/Learniture-A...4&sprefix=sitting+stools,aps,996&sr=8-60&th=1. Again, its not the answer for everyone but it has been very helpful to me. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_7876.jpeg
    IMG_7876.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7877.jpeg
    IMG_7877.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 54

Woodchipper

If I stand too long, my right knee gives a jolt of pain when I first move. I'm OK as long as I'm moving. Candidate for knee replacement sometime in the future.

howsitwork

It helps to have foam floor mat to stand on I have found.

I also ( with leg in plaster some years back ) found a bar stool great to turn from with leg propped on bag of shavings.
Had to vacuum out top of pot ( plaster on leg) before going to have x ray and leg re plastered šŸ«£,.

WriteON

So how do you propose handicapped people turn wood? We have a club member that is somewhere between a paraplegic and a quadriplegic.
we will take your lathe away from you to keep you from the danger.
Curly. Only stated my .02 and nothing else. Done. I'm glad any handicapped person finds a way.

You cannot take my lathe away. It is mine. You cannot have it...woob woob woob.

Top Bottom