The Ace of Spades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This was my entry into the Advanced Casting Contest which took 3rd place which I am honored. Thought I would explain a little deeper in the process. First it was discussed before these contests if combined methods can be used and it was agreed that segmenting some can be included in the casting because this was an advanced casting category and not just mixing colors.

The Cap of this pen was wrapped in a blue brushed metallic vinyl material. Then I bent a couple Ace Of Spade watch dials to fit the tube. On the rims I placed a combination of brass watch gears along with some small brass spade charms. In the gears again I used an Aqua blue crystal stone to give it some color. This was cast in Liquid Diamonds epoxy resin and turned and polished. I like using the epoxy resins for these type pens because they are very thin and the open time is longer. They easily fill all nooks and crannies so there is no bubbles trapped.

The body of the pen is where the new method for me at least took place. First I used a blue acrylic blank that I cast on my own as well as red and black acrylic pick guard material as spacers to do the segmenting of the compartments within the blank. I first wrapped the tube with same blue vinyl and then I proceeded to build the blank on the tube with individual pieces by cutting precisely to size needed. That was tedious. because I also had to sand a round cove in the bottom so they sit flat on the tube. I evenly spaced them around because I was working off a square blank as I did this. my holes in the end caps needed to be precise so needed to use a proper drill bit . after I got all pieces cut and placed I glued up the blank. I could not build this blank off the tube and then drill for tube because of the precision I needed. This way to me was the easiest. Then I added the same but smaller watch gears and brass spades. Then cast again in LD and finished.

I know when looking at pens such as this much of the hidden work is overlooked and not realized. that is why I wanted to explain it a little further in case someone wants to try something like this. Anyway thanks to everyone who voted for my pen and also for those reading this. As always any comments or questions are always welcomed.

Copy #2 probably best for Bash 2024 casting contest closed blue pen - Copy (1).jpg resized 600...jpg
Blue Ace of Spades Bash 2024 contest open photo #2 (2).jpg
IMGP0488.JPG blue ace of spades before built.jpg for the Bash contest.jpg reworked for clarity.jpg

Top Bottom