Thanks to an old post from Skiprat - adding indexing holes to my back plate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Happened across a fairly old post from skiprat showing use of a 12-point socket to index your chuck. Paired with my rotary tool holder is allowing me to add 24 index holes to my back plate so I can index 3, 4, 6, 8 or 12 sided facets. I'll add a removable bracket to the top with a spring loaded plunger to do the actual indexing.

1616684574297.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Open the cover at the other end of the spindle and you have the gears that you can rig an indexing finger for. You can then drill your chucks or just use the gears. Remember to disengage the index finger before running the lathe though. ;)

Carl Fisher

Check out this post.
what I did on the outboard end of my lathe .
Lin
That's a nice setup but my lathe didn't seem to lend itself to doing anything on the outboard side without permanently keeping the cover off or having a lengthy setup process.

Right now I'm only planning for one of the divisions of a 24 hole pattern and I've got a spring loaded plunger that I'll mount on a piece of bar stock on the head that I can quickly install or remove for now.

Long term I do want a more accurate dividing plate of some sorts but for now and what I'm needing, this should be acceptable.

Top Bottom