Spare Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

With the price of tools and their built in obsolescence, I thought it might be a good idea to buy a few spare parts, the normal wear ones. I bought a few belts and bearings and a spare spindle. The spindle had some very small specks of rust so I cleaned it all off and then sprayed the entire spindle and inside the taper with a long term storage rust inhibitor. I then sealed it back up in a plastic bag. My question is, do you think it will be okay, long term sealed up? Or should I do something different with it? The spindle was probably overkill, but doesn't matteršŸ˜

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

You could always throw some of those little desiccant bags in it that you get with all kinds of products but it probably isn't necessary. Be a good idea to look at it every couple years or so. You are doing way more than most people would.

egnald

With rust inhibitor and plastic I think you should be okay. I learned the hard way a few years ago to avoid paper and cardboard for storage of steel and carbide parts. We put some parts in stock that were vacuum sealed with cardboard in a blister pack. Unfortunately I think the vacuum accelerated the attack of acids in the paper. - Dave

KenB259

You could always throw some of those little desiccant bags in it that you get with all kinds of products but it probably isn't necessary. Be a good idea to look at it every couple years or so. You are doing way more than most people would.
Wouldn't hurt to throw a few of those desiccant packs in there when I see some. Yeah I plan on looking at it every so often.

Rick_G

With the price of tools and their built in obsolescence, I thought it might be a good idea to buy a few spare parts, the normal wear ones. I bought a few belts and bearings and a spare spindle. The spindle had some very small specks of rust so I cleaned it all off and then sprayed the entire spindle and inside the taper with a long term storage rust inhibitor. I then sealed it back up in a plastic bag. My question is, do you think it will be okay, long term sealed up? Or should I do something different with it? The spindle was probably overkill, but doesn't matteršŸ˜
If you have spares on hand the original parts will not fail. Bought a little 1W NEJE box style laser 7 or 8 years ago. figured the most likely part to fail was the laser diode so bought 3 spares. The original is still going strong.

KenB259

If you have spares on hand the original parts will not fail. Bought a little 1W NEJE box style laser 7 or 8 years ago. figured the most likely part to fail was the laser diode so bought 3 spares. The original is still going strong.
LOL, I'm okay with that.

Top Bottom