Morado Stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Hi Tim,

I turn Morado, aka Pau Ferro, aka Bolivian Rosewood quite frequently and have never had any trouble wit it.

Using sharp tools, it turns and finishes quite nicely. Is there a reason why you are thinking about stabilizing it?

GaryMGg

I sent someone some cross cut Antique Heart Pine blanks.
He was having trouble turning them—they're very brittle—and he sent them to someone to stabilize.
That person wrote back to say stabilizing the heart pine wouldn't work because of all the sap even though they only measure 2% moisture content.
The stabilizer also wrote to say trying to stabilize dense oily hardwoods doesn't work well.

I believe Morado falls into the dense oily woods category.

What trouble are you having?

Silverado

Hi Tim,

I turn Morado, aka Pau Ferro, aka Bolivian Rosewood quite frequently and have never had any trouble wit it.

Using sharp tools, it turns and finishes quite nicely. Is there a reason why you are thinking about stabilizing it?
Thanks for the reply Dereck... I was going to use it for razor handles so was wanting to stabilize it.

Silverado

I sent someone some cross cut Antique Heart Pine blanks.
He was having trouble turning them—they're very brittle—and he sent them to someone to stabilize.
That person wrote back to say stabilizing the heart pine wouldn't work because of all the sap even though they only measure 2% moisture content.
The stabilizer also wrote to say trying to stabilize dense oily hardwoods doesn't work well.

I believe Morado falls into the dense oily woods category.

What trouble are you having?
Thanks for the reply Gary. No problems turning Morado. Wanted to use it for shaving sets...so stabilizing would be a benefit. haven't tried stabilizing it yet

Silverado

Thanks for the reply Gary. No problems turning Morado. Wanted to use it for shaving sets...so stabilizing would be a benefit. haven't tried stabilizing it yet
Just read that it is indeed oily, so I guess it is a no go for juice.

Top Bottom