Live and Dead Center Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

Can anyone recommend a good live and dead center.
The three I've tried on Amazon all are plated brass and the plating gets grooved out by the brass tubes and stop being true.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

There are some really great centers that are truly carbide tipped, but the genuine quality ones are really - really expensive. I usually opt for a much less expensive hardened steel centers and just know that I will need to replace them at some point. - Dave

jrista

Can anyone recommend a good live and dead center.
The three I've tried on Amazon all are plated brass and the plating gets grooved out by the brass tubes and stop being true.
Thanks!

Todd, I have had the same problem. I tried a more expensive set as well, and eventually grooves still appeared in them. So I've stuck with the "cheap" stuff (well, dead centers are, its still about $30 for a simple live center).

What I do is this. I have two sets I switch between. One set I use exclusively with my TBC bushings. They have a roughened band on them, where the bushings meet the centers. I periodically sand that back using a strip of sandpaper intended for metals, contact-cemented to a popsicle stick (so that its flat, and I can maintain the angle on the center). Doesn't take much, just enough to keep it smooth and flat. I frequently check the centering of my two center's points and their spin. They seem to be true...as far as my eyes can tell. I guess if I used a dial meter, these might not be 100% perfectly true, but I believe they are good enough for turning.

I then have another set, my old original that I think came with one of my lathes...or at the very least, its about two years old. It has some groves in it from the brass tubes. I again periodically sand these back. These are my trash centers, though. So when I'm done with a batch of turning, and I am on to sanding and finishing, I switch out the centers, and use my "grooved up" ones for the sanding and finishing stuff.

I figure, why keep buying more, when they get damaged so easily? I have a couple additional sets I have not even used yet. Plan is, once the current "grooved up" set just gets too damaged to be useful, I'll toss 'em, and switch the current "bushing" set to the "grooved" set, and pull out another new set of unused dead/live centers to become my "bushing" set. 🤷‍♂️

There was a time when I wondered if there was a way to create disposable 60 degree "caps" for my centers. Out of some kind of hard plastic... They would most likely be single-use, though, and it would get expensive fast. When it comes to sanding and finishing, being perfectly true isn't a real requirement, so some grooves don't matter all that much, and you can sand that mostly flat again usually. Eventually a groove may form that is too deep to be sanded out...I either just turn pens with bigger tubes for a while, or will toss the center when that happens (has happened to me once.)

KenB259

Oneway has cheap replaceable pen inserts for their live center. I know the live center is pricey. I bit the bullet about a year ago. At least now the replaceable tips are only about 12 bucks. My dead center is about to the point I need to replace it too. I have found no good way yet to prevent the grooving.

Mike

I have been using the Nova Live Center System. It has gone up a lot in the last couple years. It came with a selection of removable inserts and Rich Herrell has made me one to use as a mandrel saver and we are working on the dimensions and design of an insert to use for TBC with bushings. In the event some of you haven't heard, Rick is awesome. Beautiful work and reasonable prices.
I use the dead center that came with my little Jet lathe.

Here is one link to the Nova system, might be cheaper somewhere else.

Mike

MRDucks2

I ended up going with the OneWay Live center set and their dead center. Adjustable, replaceable points and the cup type setup is great to work with.

Todd in PA

Thanks Ken and Mike. I found that insert on Amazon for $13 and will give it a rip. The dead center is cheap, so replacing it a couple times per year isn't a real problem.

Top Bottom