Lathe Chuck Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

Hi All,

Since I'm getting back in to turning abit on a budget, I was looking at pricing for the chuck for the lathe, I usually always buy a Nova G3, However I see they now have this one.

Nova Select Precision Midi DIRECT THREAD 1″ X 8TPI.

Its a smaller in thickness but takes all the same jaws, they say recommended for up to a 12" swing. I will be putting this on a Nova Comet II and doing mostly pens, rings and trying to learn small bowl turning.

ANYONE have exp with this chuck? Its close to 60 less then the g3 lite once I figure in the Spindle adapter as well.

Attachments

• 48111-1.jpg
    48111-1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 54
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

I have 2 of the Nova Select Precision Midi chucks they work but the Nova G3 (I have several) work better. It is simpler to attach stock & I think it has a stronger grip ... just my opinion. Every now & then someone is selling a G3 on the market place.

DennisM

I have 2 of the Nova Select Precision Midi chucks they work but the Nova G3 (I have several) work better. It is simpler to attach stock & I think it has a stronger grip ... just my opinion. Every now & then someone is selling a G3 on the market place.
Looking at it, noticed it uses the 2 handle method of their original chucks, I am just going to go with the tried and true G3 :Lite.

egnald

It's hard to beat the G3. They have made a lot of improvements in it over the years as well. It is machined precisely enough now that the jaws are 100% interchangeable - no more matching up numbered jaw pieces to the chuck. I've bought all of mine from Woodworker Specialties - great prices and outstanding service. - Dave

zorro9

Dennis, I see you're from N Illinois (past home). Check out the Chicago woodturners out of Arlington Heights. Always someone selling stuff

BCnabe

I don't have this particular one but I have one that is similar.

It has the two handles to loosen or tighten the chuck but this can be challenging when the part being turned needs to be held as well - you sometimes need three hands. Or bring up the tailstock to help hold it.

Other chucks that have the single hex or star handle are much nicer in my opinion.

NGLJ

I have 2 direct threading 1" 8 TPI G3's. Just bought a Rikon 70-1420VSR which has a 1¼" 8 TPI spindle. About to give up on my Laguna 1216, which is still not functional after 6 weeks and replacing all the electronics. More replacement electronics are on the way to replace the replacement electronics!! If I can get it working I will sell it.

Don't really want to buy a new G3 chuck. I know that I can purchase a 1¼" 8 TPI to 1" 8 TPI adapter but would it be better to invest in a G3 with an insert (much shorter than the adapter)? It would use up less space between centers, but that may not be an issue for me with the bigger Rikon lathe, which by the way so far I really like. It is very solid and everything locks down easily and securely, and the extra power is very noticeable. My concern about the adapter is "will the chuck run true"? Every time you place something between the spindle and the chuck there is a chance that things may get out of round!

DennisM

I have 2 direct threading 1" 8 TPI G3's. Just bought a Rikon 70-1420VSR which has a 1¼" 8 TPI spindle. About to give up on my Laguna 1216, which is still not functional after 6 weeks and replacing all the electronics. More replacement electronics are on the way to replace the replacement electronics!! If I can get it working I will sell it.

Don't really want to buy a new G3 chuck. I know that I can purchase a 1¼" 8 TPI to 1" 8 TPI adapter but would it be better to invest in a G3 with an insert (much shorter than the adapter)? It would use up less space between centers, but that may not be an issue for me with the bigger Rikon lathe, which by the way so far I really like. It is very solid and everything locks down easily and securely, and the extra power is very noticeable. My concern about the adapter is "will the chuck run true"? Every time you place something between the spindle and the chuck there is a chance that things may get out of round!
Yup, I went with the direct thread G3, as this one will really not come off this lathe, I will add a new one to the next lathe

DennisM

I am not concerned about it coming off since the G3's I have are reversing and the adapter is also.
Thank you misunderstood I wasn't worried about it coming off the lake while using it I meant this truck will really never physically come off of this Lathe for what I'm going to use it for so I don't need to worry about the thread of the next spindle because I'll buy a new truck for my next

jrista

I agree with prior sentiments that the G3 is hard to beat (at least, with other Nova chucks, it CAN be beat with other brands, you'll just spend a bit more money! :p)

One thing I would make sure you check about the chuck you listed, is if it can be used with the lathe in reverse? Some chucks don't have the locking grub screw that allows them to be used with the lathe in reverse. Without that grub, the chuck will just unthread itself if you flip the lathe into reverse, which can be quite dangerous.

I have a couple of G3 chucks, and one other (forget which model, but like the one you listed it has some restrictions) and a crap ton of Nova jaws. I ended up getting a Record Power chuck, which is compatible with the nova jaws. Its a bigger chuck, which I use with bigger bowls, platters, etc. Right off the bat, though, you could tell the Record Power chuck was better engineered. Its also sealed to limit the rate at which dust gets into the chuck...this is a problem I've had with all of my Nova chucks: They collect dust inside like no tomorrow. I've had to clean them many times, otherwise it gets harder and harder to open and close the jaws. In the nearly three years I've had it, the RP chuck has never needed to be cleaned at all.

I've also had the opportunity to use one of those quick-release EWT chucks...and, if I ever get around to buying ANOTHER chuck, I'll probably buy one of those, or something else with quick release capability. I've always hated having to unscrew/rescrew jaws. The quick release chucks are SO freakin nice. It would just be a rather hefty investment, after collecting all these Nova jaws, to switch to one...but there is no question that the EWT chuck (which is also sealed against dust, so slows the frequency you need to do a thorough cleaning) is much easier to use, far less hassle.

If you are going to invest in a chuck, after having bought too many myself...my recommendation is, spend some money, and get a really good one. It's worth it. Even though the RP chuck is not top of the line, its been so much nicer to use than any of my Nova chucks. Haven't had to clean it once, it works with much, much larger items (although isn't all that much larger than the G3), its gearing moves more smoothly, and it takes less force to open and close the jaws, they are much more accurate (once just a little bit of dust gets into the Novas, they start to get "sticky and stuttery"). Anyway...consider before you buy! Quick change chucks in particular, IMO, WELL worth the money.

DennisM

I agree with prior sentiments that the G3 is hard to beat (at least, with other Nova chucks, it CAN be beat with other brands, you'll just spend a bit more money! :p)

One thing I would make sure you check about the chuck you listed, is if it can be used with the lathe in reverse? Some chucks don't have the locking grub screw that allows them to be used with the lathe in reverse. Without that grub, the chuck will just unthread itself if you flip the lathe into reverse, which can be quite dangerous.

I have a couple of G3 chucks, and one other (forget which model, but like the one you listed it has some restrictions) and a crap ton of Nova jaws. I ended up getting a Record Power chuck, which is compatible with the nova jaws. Its a bigger chuck, which I use with bigger bowls, platters, etc. Right off the bat, though, you could tell the Record Power chuck was better engineered. Its also sealed to limit the rate at which dust gets into the chuck...this is a problem I've had with all of my Nova chucks: They collect dust inside like no tomorrow. I've had to clean them many times, otherwise it gets harder and harder to open and close the jaws. In the nearly three years I've had it, the RP chuck has never needed to be cleaned at all.

I've also had the opportunity to use one of those quick-release EWT chucks...and, if I ever get around to buying ANOTHER chuck, I'll probably buy one of those, or something else with quick release capability. I've always hated having to unscrew/rescrew jaws. The quick release chucks are SO freakin nice. It would just be a rather hefty investment, after collecting all these Nova jaws, to switch to one...but there is no question that the EWT chuck (which is also sealed against dust, so slows the frequency you need to do a thorough cleaning) is much easier to use, far less hassle.

If you are going to invest in a chuck, after having bought too many myself...my recommendation is, spend some money, and get a really good one. It's worth it. Even though the RP chuck is not top of the line, its been so much nicer to use than any of my Nova chucks. Haven't had to clean it once, it works with much, much larger items (although isn't all that much larger than the G3), its gearing moves more smoothly, and it takes less force to open and close the jaws, they are much more accurate (once just a little bit of dust gets into the Novas, they start to get "sticky and stuttery"). Anyway...consider before you buy! Quick change chucks in particular, IMO, WELL worth the money.
Thanks for the write-up but I will respond here quickly so ignore the gramical errors as I'm using voice to text

I'm not new to Turning I've been turning for over 15 years I was only asking the difference between the G3 and the Precision mini truck and I had never seen that from Nova before and I'm getting back into it again at a budget after having a heart attack a heart ablation and gallbladder surgery I had to sell everything I had

So I know all the things to look for in the truck I had just never seen the Nova Precision mini before and yes the G3 I bought is reversible with the garage group because my Nova is a reversible

I had to , 2 DRS plus a rikon and my original Harbor Freight that I had started with lathe

But every point that you made in there is a great point for anyone else that they read this threat as well and I'm not too big of a fan on the quick releases just like on my motorcycle I don't like anything quick release quick release also to me introduces a quick way for it to release when you don't want it to just my opinion

Top Bottom